Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storygardener

Yippeeee....first blooms of 2005!!

storygardener
19 years ago

Hi folks...I am doing my happy flower dance. Yes, I have some snowdrops blooming and some hellebores blooming too. The pink hellebores look really ratting this year for some reason. (Probably the ice storm and back and forth cold and warm weather) No matter...I am SO happy to see some flowers in the yard.

How about you all...anyone have a bloom or two?

I curious gardener here would LOVE to hear. I need more of a flower fix.

think spring...Beverly the Storygardener

Comments (24)

• ohiogdnr
    19 years ago

Morning Storygardener!

I was out looking yesterday and found one samll patch of snowdrops that has gotten hidden by a taxus bush nearby. So far I haven't seen my other snowdrops....I figured they'd be out by now. Sure hope I haven't lost them! We've had a bad mole problem this past year and they have started working again already!

My girlfriend has crocus blooming up near her house. Must be getting some reflected heat from what little sun we've seen! It seems early for any crocus.

My hellebores are not showing much yet, but you've given me hope!

And of course, my fall planted pansies have a bit of color. Not much, but I am glad to see they made it through. They'll be pretty next month.

• tonitime
    19 years ago

Happy Day!
    We have masses of the purple Crocus blooming - and buzzing with bees on the warm days ( cold again, today!).
    Let it ALL begin soon!
    Toni
    Red River Gorge,KY

• kyme
    19 years ago

I have several crocus blooming. I need for Spring to hurry up! I have been buying too many plant books!
    Martha

• mike_g_
    19 years ago

Snow Drops and Winter Aconite blooming here. Daffs breaking ground.

Mike G

• gardengirl_17
    19 years ago

Now is the time I wish I'd had the energy to order more bulbs! I don't have any really early bulbs planted. I did see some foliage from my anemone blanda starting to come up though. They're even coming up through the wooly thyme!

• dellaflorasu
    19 years ago

Heather! planted it last fall, wasn't sure it would make it - little pink blossoms next to the front door.

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Can't find my snow drops. I think they bloomed in December. I expect winter sown sprouts in two weeks or so.

• JasonMtnMan
    19 years ago

Nothing blooming yet. But have sevearl groupings of daff's and crocus' peaking their heads out.
    Should have crocus blooms soon, though..... :)

• alison
    19 years ago

Just saw snowdrops today on my morning walk, on Neil along Thurber Retirement. Pretty!

My thrill of the morning was seeing that the rose cuttings I took last fall all have little buds on them. Put me thru the roof, and I was standing outdoors!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yep...Snowdrops do it for me...I know spring is close.

YAY!!!!

Beverly

• heather483
    19 years ago

I have lots of purple crocuses and a dwarf iris blooming, plus lots of green tops. Dellaflorasu, what kind of heather did you plant? I didn't think it would over-winter.
    Thanks!

• VBKatLou
    19 years ago

I'm seeing purple through the buds of some crocus I have planted by the kitchen door, but nothing blooming yet. Daffadils are about 2 inches high now and last week I began to see the tips of tulips.

My hyacinth has been above ground since January. With all the freezing weather, the few leaves are a bit ragged, but I don't think they are permanently damaged.

• auntym999
    19 years ago

I have snowdrops also. I also have lots of crocus blooming and tons of daffodils, tulips etc poking their heads out of the snow.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yesterday, I saw a yellow crocus blooming at the side of my house. YAY!!!! This is a place the rabbits never find. So, I'll be able to enjoy this flower.

Darn Urban Commando Bunnies eat all the other crocus every year!

It's so much fun hearing as the flowers start emerging and buds opening this spring.

...Beverly

• Lisa_loves_dirt
    19 years ago

I heard the newspaper hit the door this morning at 4 AM and I woke up to find a whole bunny family eyeing my sprouting bulbs. They were too cute to shoo away. After all, those bunnies were here way before me. But I haven't noticed a nibble yet. I am in an east Dayton suburb and have daffs poking up and many yellow crocus in view. Tulips will poke out soon I think. Hope. Pray.

• margie_wPA_Z6a
    19 years ago

My pussy willow is in full bloom with snow swirling around it! I'm going out right now to if I have any snow drops blooming. daffs and crocus are coming up, no blooms yet.

• hairmetal4ever
    19 years ago

Looking back to Feb. it's funny what was growing-everything has been at a standstill since the last week of Feb. around here!!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have some purple primula starting to bloom. What fun..

primula
    crocus
    snow drops
    hellebores

YAY!!!

Beverly

• lmariesteve
    19 years ago

Crocus blooming, pussy willow catkins out, daffodils up about 6 inches, tulips up, and daylily foliage comming up. Spring is on it's way!

• hairmetal4ever
    19 years ago

Nothing up here in Akron yet-but I'll have some crocuses in a week and the daffs are 6 inches up.

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Big beautiful purple crocuses for about a week now. What jewels!

• katbird
    19 years ago

Daylily foliage is sprouted.. tulips have sprouted about 5 inches, Star of Bethlehem is up about 4 inches.., mums are starting to show up about an inch to 2 so far.., spiderwort is popped up.., always have the heucheras' and lamiums and hens and chicks to look at, no hosta yet though.. lol, I only feel teased so far!!! I WANT SPRING!!!

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

some of the daffs are blooming!! YAY

• gillespiegardens
    19 years ago

Ive got the usual crocus, daffodils and snowdrops. just seeing them blooming makes me
    and I love seeing all the new growth breaking out on my shrubs, trees and perennials. a few days ago i saw some of my hostas little 'toes' pushing up through the ground and my corydalis are up too! Sometimes I think this is my favorite time of year... just watching my gardens awaken from a deep winter's sleep.

of course...they are calling for rain/snow flurries/sleet tomorrow