Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diggerb2

whats blooming!!!!!

diggerb2
15 years ago

well, i went out to get the newspaper this am and to help load some stuff into the car for my wife. on the way back in i saw a clump of snowdrops blooming. seems a bit late for them (Feb 13) but last week they were under 2 feet of snow and the week before that it was below zero-- so i'll make allowances.

could spring be on the way?

Now whats blooming for you in your zone 5-6 gardens?

diggerb

Comments (17)

• DeAnne Foy
    15 years ago

I've got nothing. Not even witchhazel which was blooming at Valentine's Day last year. The daffs are just starting to poke through.

• gardencrazy
    15 years ago

I have daylillies peaking up out of the mulch.

• michigoose
    15 years ago

Nothing. NO snowdrops. No witchhazel, no nothing.

• lady_6
    15 years ago

Nothing outside! Just wind and snow out there.

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

Nuttin honey.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    15 years ago

Nothing here either--but I noticed the buds are swelling on the yellow dogwood today.

• highlandsgardener
    15 years ago

No blooms, but daffs with buds. Also tulips, hyacinths, primrose, crocus, lycoris, day lilies, iris & stars of persia all showing their heads. Fat buds on the camellias, too.

• gardencrazy
    15 years ago

I finally have crocus starting to come up.

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

My snow crocus started blooming two days ago. Now if it would stop raining I could enjoy them.

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i've got snow crocus now too!!! saw some on Thursday evening
    more popped open on friday.
    and i actually went out on wednesday afternoon and uncovered a bet to see what's coming up.

now we're just having rain, rain and more rain.
    back yard is flooding-- well so is every one elses as well.

more next week i'm sure.
    diggerb

• j.sue
    15 years ago

My beautiful helebores (christmas rose)

• luv4buds
    15 years ago

My snow drops have been blooming for 4 weeks and look very healthy. The helebores is in full bloom-started budding in mid-Dec. I have one white crocus blooming and a daff should open in a few days. I can see the hyacinth heads just popping up through the soil. I cannot wait to smell these fragrant bulbs. Today's hig temp set a record--77 but a cold frontis expected and more seasonal temps will be back :(

• diggerb2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh you poeple in zone 6 just drive me crazy. i i thought it was the zone 7 poeple that did it.

well after a weekend of warm and rain, rain, rain.
    the back yard is still about 1/2 flooded but things are
    so much greener. it really is beginning to feel more spring like. still i only have snow drops and snow crocus blooming
    but that's all i've got that can bloom early. I am thinking that helebores and witchhazel and cornus mas might all be good ideas to plant around. this year i'm going to spend some money and get a black pussy willow for the yard. but
    i'm looking for a regular one as a trade.

diggerb

• floodthelast
    15 years ago

Well these aren't blooming yet but I put them in last fall so am glad to see them coming up. Alliums, bluebells and some of the double mixed daff's. Oh and dutch iris too.

• amidheliot
    15 years ago

On Thurs. morning (March 19) I was excited because I had my first daffodil break out into bloom!!! I also noticed that a couple of my willow and dogwood bushes had leafed out on a couple of their branches...

• DeAnne Foy
    15 years ago

Well, the daffs are blooming, and the scilla, and striped squill. YEA! Flower buds are coming out on the magnolia. Leaves are starting to come out. It makes me nervous... I hope we are not in for a late hard freeze like two years ago. We need some rain.

• marciagaye
    15 years ago

Crocus, scilla, daffs, star magnolia and bradford pear and something else, but I can't remember the name....LOL

Sponsored