Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flneedstrees

If Ohio could look like tropical Miami, would you want it to?

FLneedsTREES
19 years ago

Hi everyone. I'm trying to get to the bottom of a little debate that has been lingering in the Florida Gardening forum for some time.

If you've ever been to South Florida, you know that what is planted is entirely exotic tropicals, palm trees and some evergreen oaks (simply because they are required by some cities). It's not a shady place, when a subdivision or shopping center goes in, the native vegetation, much of which is found in northern states, is completely cleared and replaced with palm trees and tropical shrubs. When you go into a Home Depot garden center in South Florida, you do not find red maples or other common garden trees even though they are native to the area, but instead you find ficus, palms etc. As a result, people assume deciduous trees and soforth do not grow there and should they come across one in the winter time, they think it's a dead tree. Not only that a large list of exotics have escaped cultivation and become uncontrolable pest plants that are found everywhere you look.

It's hard to notice a change in seasons in South Florida and one belief from a former northern resident in the forum is that it's better to have a winter that's green and full of life rather than a gloomy, dismal, grey and lifeless northern landscape. I respect that opinion although I do not agree with that and I think the people of south florida are missing out by not experiencing a change of seasons and/or having deciduous trees planted.

But what do I know? That's just my opinion, right? So I'm trying to find out if that opinion is shared by anyone else or if I truly am an oddball.

So the question is, if exotic tropical plants and palm trees would grow in your city or town, would you prefer to have them over the deciduous trees that are so common in your area. That way your city or town would have the tropical feel of Miami all year long. And it would be green in the winter but not so green in the summer. Or would you keep things the way they are?

By the way, it has to be one way or the other. You can't have a mix of both, it doesn't work that way.

Thanks for responding. Your replies are helpful.

PS, I am not asking the quetion to win a debate, I just want to know for my own personal reasons.

Comments (10)

• alison
    19 years ago

While I like the tropical look in the summer, I'd miss the winter landscape. So I'd have to go with what we have already.

I don't think the winter landscape has to be "a gloomy, dismal, grey and lifeless" landscape. (Altho' here in Central Ohio I'd prefer a little bit more snow than we usually get!) Most evergreens just hang out in the warmer months, but there's nothing more beautiful in the winter, loaded with snow. Some shrubs are even more striking when they're not covered with leaves, and you can see the color/texture/shape of the branches. I'm not necessarily talking about the wild ones, like red twig dogwood. Even my philadelphis with it's peeling, cinnamon- colored bark, is striking in the winter. And I think the glow of red berries is even more heart-breaking because of the contrast to the snow, or even the grey, than a sea of hibiscus in the sunshine.

But mostly, I like the dramatic changes of the seasons. It's kinda like having 3 gardens in one! Those first few lemon balm leaves coming out of the mud in spring are all the more dear to me because it's the first green I've seen in the garden for a couple of months. My speedwell in the spring, when it's smothered with blue flowers, is completely transformed by fall when the leaves turn mahogany. And purples of the sweetgum, the golden ginko leaves, and the "lit-from-within" quality of the sugar maples seem even more important because you know all it's going to take is one good hard winter rain and they're all gone. I'm not much of a subtle person; big, bold changes get my attention!

You're right; it's all about personal preference. and maybe it's because I've lived all my life in the Midwest, but I think the change of seasons makes you/gives you the opportunity to appreciate things more deeply. I used to look for plants that would bloom all summer, but the older I get the more I appreciate plants that are spectacular, even if only for a few weeks. (Well, as long as I have some color somewhere, all year round!)

I had realized that what you see in Miami isn't indigenous. Probably not many of our gardens are. But it does give a different perspective. Thanks for the post!

• thinkdirt
    19 years ago

I Live in Ohio and go to Florida every September and I like just where I am, although it is nice to see palm trees and beautiful water, I have to always remember what a person who is tranplanted to florida many years ago said about what they miss most coming from the north.

She said" In FLorida you miss the seasons, you always feel like you have to garden because the sun shines, with the seasons, you garden in the summer and you get tired fall comes then it gets really colorful and you begin to rest and enjoy it, then it s time to curl up with a good book in front of a fireplace and be cozy, then your are ready for spring again and life recreates itself with all the spring fragences and you yourself gets ready for all you have miised during the winter. OH WHAT JOY. I think of that when I can't plant and my gardening tools are idle and think oh thank god for the seasons wouldn't change it for the world

• learning_OH
    19 years ago

No question about it. I'd prefer the Miami look. I lived there for six years. I've grown used to Ohio and can appreciate its winter beauty--especially since I have newly started to learn more about plants, flowers, gardens. But oh how I wish I could keep a patio of hibiscus, palms, bouganvilla (sp), and there's nothing like the poincianna (sp?) season in Miami. It's gorgeous!! An entire year of lush greenery, bright colors, pale colors, color, color, color!

• thinkdirt
    19 years ago

i quess there is something to be said for both sides ao the debate will never end we all enjoy what we have, and will adjust to where ever we are lol that is gardening world wide.

• sunburygirl
    19 years ago

I enjoy visiting the more tropical climates and my family in California, but I fear I'd really miss the four seasons. I know my sister does and sometimes when the trees are doing the wild thing in the fall or the snowflakes are drifting down, I'll call her and discribe it for her. She sighs..... then tells me about their 70 degree weather!

• pkock
    19 years ago

NO. I love vacationing in Florida, but after I'm there for a week or so, I miss "normal" vegetation. Granted, I've rarely seen inland areas, only beachy, sandy places. My mom has a small property in Cape Coral. We visited it recently - just two bare lots - and I was amazed at how ugly it was. Just sandy soil and scraggly weeds, and not much else around it.

But you know, I probably wouldn't hate it so much if it were left alone, you know, to grow native plants, or if gardeners/landscapers grew more native plants. I love the look of spanish moss.

I am not a fan of cold winter weather, but I love it here.

--PK

• ginam_oh
    19 years ago

I'm with Alison--spring is all the more beautiful to me after having been through winter! I've never seen anything as beautiful as the first shoots of green after a particularly harsh wintry season. And I find it ever more amazing each time I bear witness to it.

The tropical climates are gorgeous, but so is Ohio, in its own right. The sky is never bluer (in my opinion) than on a very crisp sunny COLD day. And don't even get me started on fall. :)

Gina

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

I agree. I love Ohio. I enjoy visiting tropical climates, but wouldn't miss fall and football season in Ohio for all the palms in Florida.

As for the Florida internal debate - well I just don't know enough about the subject to be helpful. When I lived in New Mexico, I didn't like the houses that were Anglo styled with green lawns and annuals that needed gallons and gallons to survive. I liked the adobe and the natural landscaping.

• alison
    19 years ago

Ah, Gina -- a crisp cold day in December, when the sky is a brilliant blue and you get that thin golden light reflecting off the orange brick we have around here -- it's breath-taking in several senses! And if you happen to see a starling warming his toes on a chimney pot, the feathers on his throat all shaggy while he sings -- it's magical moment! (With the proper lighting, even starlings are magical!)

When I get a proper garden I want to do more to make the garden beautiful in winter. Evergreens, plants with berries, maybe even structures. I think the problem is it's unevenly cold here, so too many of us simply retreat from the garden in winter. It's what you run thru to get from the car to the house, or if you're a winter sower, it's where you dump you milk jugs and pop bottles. Farther north, where it gets cold and stays cold, I think people make the adjustment and sprend more time outside even during the winter.

I'm sort of sad now that our latest snowfall is melting. But I am finding all sorts of things I dropped in the snow last week!

• FLneedsTREES
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank You all for your replies. I've enjoyed reading each and every one of them. I posted this question in a few other forums but these responses have been by far, the most poetic!

It's amazing how many people brought up the weather. That's one area I could live with. I remember cabin fever and running from the front door to the car etc. I also remember relaxing and looking out the window on a cold, rainy day. I like those days ocasionally. When I visited florida on vacation during the winter, I remember how I enjoyed the weather so much but also yearned to go home after a week of it.

Florida does have some impressive blooms as learningOH mentioned but one thing it definitely doesn't have is the variety to satisfy both those who like tropicals and those who don't.

Sponsored