Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
from south to north

Posted by ihoot 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 15, 10 at 11:59

I recently relocated to Cincinnati from Alabama and would like to know what sorts of things I can start planting for the spring and when is a good time to start. I don't have a yard, so I am limited to a container garden, but have a very well lit patio.
Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: from south to north

Welcome to Ohio! I don't do much outside until mid-May. I start some seeds for tomatos and peppers after Valentine's Day. Some of the cold season plants like peas can be planted outside about the middle of April. Does that help? It might help to join a garden club for a few years to get the 'hang' of it. I live in Lebanon, so very close to you!

Mickie

o

• Posted by raee zone 5-6 OH (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 22, 10 at 13:32

What sort of plants are you thinking of? Flowers, fruits, veggies, perennials?

Cincinnati has a little longer growing season than here but I think pretty much the same plants do well. All the traditional annuals can be grown.
As for starting seeds now--probably ask in the winter sowing forum. I have sown seeds like zinnia, cosmos, poppy, bachelors buttons in early March using that technique with good success.

o

i was mostly thinking annuals because i don't really have anywhere to keep plants indoors when it gets cold (i have a dog that enjoys eating plants). some that i have narrowed it down to are alyssum, fan flower, vergena, and some sort of snapdragon. i would like to attempt a flowering onion, but hear they are difficult to grow and it seems as though it may be too late in the season to start it from bulb.

o

• Posted by raee zone 5-6 OH (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 1, 10 at 13:36

Well, all of those plants will do well in our climate; except I know nothing about flowering onions.

I've had great success with geraniums (both kinds), sweet potato vine, mandevilla, victoria blue salvia, hibiscus, callas, creeping jenny, amaryllis, chinese maple and more in pots on the patio.

I don't start any of those from seed myself, maybe others have experience with starting the more annuals from seed about now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here