Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michigoose_gw

Ohio! Here I come! Troy area info requested

michigoose
19 years ago

I'm finally getting to move back to the midwest after being in exile in Connecticut for 23 years. I'm bringing a lot of my shrubs and plants with me (it is the same zone), but I want to replace some of the more unusual ones which won't make the move--specifically Cercis candiana "forest pansy" (forest pansy redbud) and my Stewartia pseudocamilia. Does anyone have any insight to nurseries in the Troy area which might have more unusual things such as these? Thanks!

Comments (16)

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    19 years ago

There are some good nurseries and garden centers in and around Troy, but don't expect too much of the unusual stuff. Most of the offerings will be tried and tested selection. In the Troy area is Andy's Garden Center, Chaney's Nursery (both of which carry good selections for the area. There is also Pleasant View Nursery which I am not familiar with.

Down the road to the south in Tipp City is Spring Hill Nursery. This is a walk-in retail establishment that I shop at every spring and they also carry a good selection of annuals, perennials, shrubs, roses, and trees - as well as hard goods. Don't let the mail order reputation of another part of this business discourage you from Spring Hill as they carry nice stock and stand behind what they sell.

Further down the road in Dayton - I would recommend Siebenthaler's which has two locations east and south of Dayton proper.

Two MetroParks in the Dayton area also have annual fundraisers in May that offer some unique and unusual selections. Wegerzen Horticulture Center in the north of Dayton and Cox Arboretum and Gardens in the south of Dayton. Wegerzen's sale is the 1st weekend of May and the Cox sale is the Friday and Saturday of Mother's Day weekend.

I'm not familiar as what is to the north or west of Troy. If you don't mind driving a while, Columbus has some excellent nurseries and garden centers. Two that I enjoy shopping is Seeley's near Hilliard and the Oakland Park Garden Center in north central Columbus. But there are others as well. And a bit further east near the small town of Alexandria is Baker's Acres - worth a trip from anywhere in Ohio - but mostly for perennials, tender perennial, exotic annuals, and some trees and shrubs.

Welcome to Ohio

OBTW, my very nice Forest Pansy redbud came from Lowe's and I think there is one of those in Troy.

• blest2bmom2two
    19 years ago

We've just moved to the Troy area too - thanks for asking the question because I was wondering the same thing! We just got a catalogue from Spring Hill Nursery today and I have heard that there stuff is pretty poor, so it's good to know that the Nursery itself is better!

We moved from Canada and we couldn't bring anything that was planted in the ground, so we are starting from scratch here! It's fun and excited, but I know I'll really miss my David Austin and Explorer Series Roses!

• greenthumb_OH
    19 years ago

Another neat nursery that has knowledgeable people and wonderful selections is Meadow View Growers, Inc. on State Route 235 north of New Carlisle. That will be fairly close to you too! Scarff's Tree and Shrub Nursery is about 1-2 miles south of Meadow View on State Route 235 also.
    Karin

Here is a link that might be useful: Meadow View Growers, Inc.

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    19 years ago

didn't Scarff's close their retail operation last year?

• ohiogdnr
    19 years ago

Yes, Scarff's did close their retail last year. I have not heard that they are reopening.

If you don't mind a bit of driving, Bern's in Middletown is very nice. And ditto on Siebenthaler's mentioned by mrgpag. I know they work hard at finding the really different material. If you are looking for something in particular and they don't have it they can usually find it.

If you are like most of us you do a bit of garden center hopping! It's fun to see what they are all doing, how different they are and what kinds of different things you can find.

Welcome back to the Ohio Valley!

• sunburygirl
    19 years ago

Right outside of Cincinnati in Loveland is a fabulous nursery with great prices. Check out their inventory and you might decide it's worth a drive down. Take my advice and do it in a truck or van because you won't want to come home empty handed!

Here is a link that might be useful: Earthscapes

• jeanner
    19 years ago

Hey Michigoose, I just read your post - I guess I should have expanded the list of quilt shops to include nurseries!

Springhill has a catalog surplus sale in June every year. The plants are small but they are only .99 and I've had excellent results from everything I have gotten there.

Also, there is a nursery in Yellow Springs called Stutzmans that carries some more unique varieties, mostly trees and bushes but also perennials. It has a garden railroad and a rehab center for birds and animals which is unique. When you are there, go down the road to Youngs dairy farm for some great ice cream. Also, Yellow Springs is a fun place to spend the day - it's an artisan community and the shops offer alot of unique items.

I like Siebenthalers - they have a frequent buyers program which is well worth it. Also, they have a huge sale in the fall, it is mostly trees and bushes but they have some perennials too.

Jean

• michigoose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

lol...I also hang out on the orchid forum...I'm there mostly. Frankly, I am so excited about going to OH....I hope the snow melts here soon. We got another blizzard yesterday. My husband is taking a Uhaul out in mid-April and my plan is to dig starting March 31 to take out a lot of my shrubs, like my Harry Lauder's Walking stick, my variagated lilac and cotoneasters, and my Japanese maples....I already have a lot of my perennials potted and waiting to go (under layers of pine boughs), and will make more divisions. My garden here is sooooo full that I can't leave it behind, and most likely whoever gets this place will bulldoze it all (not the house, just the gardens) anyway. The attached link is my present garden....just thought you all might want to look and see why I'm taking some with me. Yah...I over plant. Same zone...more space, different soil...what's not there to like?

Here is a link that might be useful: Michigoose's CT Garden

• jeanner
    19 years ago

Sorry can't help you with orchids :^). But your garden is wonderful! I can see why you are bringing them with you. We have alot of the same plants too so your transplants should do well here.

If you decide to have another pond, I can give you some aquatics. Also one of the largest pond nurseries is Green Vista in Enon, they have a huge variety of plants. A little pricey though.

In the picture you have labeled "Jap. Iris and mixed perennial bed", on the right side of the picture you have a varigated plant. Does it get sprays of white flowers? I think it is the same plant that I have but I can not remember the name of it and I have lost the tag. I love that plant. BTW, I bought mine at Springhill.

• lmariesteve
    19 years ago

Bern's in Middletown is wonderful! Knollwood gardens in Beavercreek might be closer. Can't stay away from Berns, though.

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    19 years ago

This is interesting - no one mentioned North Dayton Garden Center. Pete better re-evaluate his advertising campaign

• jeanner
    19 years ago

Millions and millions of plants and shrubs! I worked for Pete one summer when I was in high school. That was before he moved to Troy St. I learned alot that summer. His wife's cactus collection was quite impressive.

• georich5
    19 years ago

Oh. my gosh Troy!!!!!

If you've ever had a strawberry in your mouth and thought you died and went to heaven you've had Troy's famous strawberries.
    My kids call them Stroyberries. The annual Strawberry Festival I believe is the first week in June. When we were younger we had relatives in Troy and would come in to visit for the Berries and take a carload back to Akron with us. We'd stay for the parade and wander over to the festival grounds and eat everything strawberry.

You triggered a wonderful memory for me, have to stop since I'm drooling on the keyboard.
    geo

• chris_oh
    19 years ago

The Garden Place in Piqua is a really good place to buy perennials, thats where I buy most of mine. The street its on is Sunset. Piqua is just north of Troy.

• gillespiegardens
    19 years ago

and dont forget Greenfields nursery in Lebanon ohio just north of Cincinnati!! It's huge and has a great selection.

It would be soooo awesome if we all could take a bus trip together sometime and go on a tour of all these interesting places!! what fun that could be. (a logistical nightmare for us too I know!) I did that once about 5 yrs or so ago at the annual ohio floral show in columbus and saw 4 nurseries and garden centers around the columbus area!

• michigoose
    Original Author
    18 years ago

The day is coming closer I'll be there and I am axiously awaiting it and digging my plants...When does Springhill have their sale? I'm coming about around the 16th...will I miss it?

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor