Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debralj_gw

Help needed - starting Perinnial Seeds inside

debralj
15 years ago

Hello, my nephew is getting married at my home (actually out in the field) June 13. I have acquired several different type of seeds and so that they will 'hopefully' be blooming in time for the wedding, I am planning on starting them indoors.

I have a heated garage, but not sure what temperature it should be at to help seeding process. I am including a list of the seeds that I have. Did not know if someone can give me pointers on what to do and not to do. Will regular potting soil work for these. When will be the best time to start indoors. How many seeds would you put per pot and I realize it will depend on the size of the pot. What type of pots will work best, styrofoam cups, buy some of the potting trays? see I have no clue.

Rockcress Aubrieta

Rock Soapwort Saponaria

Virginia Stock

Shasta Daisy Silver Princess

Portulaca Double Bloom

Delphinium Larkspur

Comments (7)

• gardencrazy
    15 years ago

Most perennials from seed do not flower the first year. You probably need to do a little research on each. I know that Delphinium and Shasta Daisy did not for me.

• debralj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Interesting. I was told that they would. I guess we will see. THANK YOU for your input I really appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

• michigoose
    15 years ago

I have better luck starting seeds through winter sowing rather than sowing inside. You might want to look at the Garden web's winter sowing threads. It's easy and really good. You use plastic milk jugs. I've not had problems with damping off with them.

You might want to look at the annuals like Shirley poppies, annual larkspur, and some other early summer bloomers which are tallish.

I've never much cared for soapwort...sort of a dissappointing plant for me.

• bearcat73
    15 years ago

I've only started vegetable seeds inside but I reckon it's probably similar. The temp needs to be between 65-70 to germinate. Soil should be moist when you plant the seeds. You will need a light source after they sprout. I would use a large container and start them asap if you want them flowering this year. I'm not sure they will, but if they said they will then your best shot is planting early. Use empty milk jugs (cut top off) with a few holes drilled in the bottom. These are also great because you can "see" the roots growing. Good luck!

• bencjedi
    15 years ago

I seeded Shasta Daisies in my home last year (late, not until April if I remember correctly). I started them in 2-cup size plastic containers from the Indian food place in Lexington (Tandoor).. perfect size. I filled half with seed starting mix, dropped in the seeds, watered with sprayer, put on lid and then sat on top of my water heater. They sprouted in a week. I then put them in the basement under lights for a couple weeks before transplanting into 6-packs.

From 020508

Then I grew them under the florescent lights until the end of May when I put them outside (shown here to the right of the Italian Stone pine in the pic)

From 052708

On July 19th

From 071908

And then they flowered in late August\September

So it is possible to get blooms the first year (I did), though it was not that many.

• bakemom_gw
    15 years ago

If you are relying on flowers for an event and have no idea what you are doing - I would suggest a florist for the flowers.

HOWEVER, join us on the winter sowing forum and we will help you learn to grow from seeds in the winter outdoors. This is a great method for KY and Ohio.

• debralj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good morning, I really appreciate everyone's help. The flowers are to be planted in my garden, so my back up plan is to go to a landscaper to get plants, if all else fails. The seeds that I have are some that I have always wanted, so if they do not work this year, there is always next year, when I have more time to get them in the ground.

Sponsored