Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrgpag

Louisville area spring plant sale

mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
19 years ago

I recall a spring sale in the Louisville area being mentioned in one or more GW forums, but for the life of me, I can't remember any details. This is more woody ornamentals - trees and shrubs and possibly conifers - and it seems to me it was held on an estate that had become some sort of a public or maybe private garden.

Can anyone help me overcome my CRS?

Comments (4)

• viburnumvalley
    19 years ago

I'll need help to overcome your CRS (meaning?).

I happen to have my January 2005 copy of the Castle Chronicles right here; I think you are remembering the annual plant sale offered by Yew Dell Gardens (are Yew a member?), the property of the late nurseryman Theodore Klein. I was lucky to have known Theodore as my plant passions germinated.

The Yew Dell calendar lists a June 10, 2005 Gala Celebration and a June 12, 2005 Open House and Plant Sale. They also offer garden tours on the 2nd Saturday morning of every month. See more about this local treasure at the link below.

Bernheim Arboretum also has a spring plant sale, usually in May, I think. You can reach them at http://www.bernheim.org to see their website, calendar, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yew Dell Gardens

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Viburnumvalley, What I remember was someone - maybe you - last year broadcasting about a plant sale in the Louisville area, but I thought it was somewhere other than Yew Dell which I'm familiar with - and it wasn't Bernheim. I'm planning on attending the 12 June Yew Dell event and probably spending the weekend in the area as we want to explore Bernheim as well. Any other points of interest for a plant enthusiast?

CRS=Can't Remember Stuff or something similar

• viburnumvalley
    19 years ago

I bet you are remembering (or not) the Whitehall plant sale, which is a(n) historic home in Louisville on Lexington Road. It takes place in the fall, usually mid-September. It's a good one, too, and now you'll have a warmup period in June to scope out the territory.

Louisville/environs points of interest (self-serving):

Louisville Metro Parks! Original parks/parkways designed by Frederick Law Olmsted in 1890s; we like to think he worked out all the bugs on his projects elsewhere and got everything right in his last great work here. 122 properties currently, spanning 14,000+ acres. We have a few plants worth seeing, many quite new but some fine old ones. See our website linked below, where you can hook up with yours truly.

Seneca Gardens: neighborhood next to Seneca Park. Incredible collection of rare and unusual specimens as street trees and co-opted front yards of residents. One resident enthusiast set about to reclaim canopy lost to a freak summer storm in late 1980s, worked with his small city government, and now 15 years hence has assembled a remarkable set of plants that you'd never believe could exist in the common streetscape of a residential community of 200 homes. New plants often listed/talked about here on GW, were acquired from the originators to trial in this climate, and now are some of the largest of the type in this region. Quite a stroll.

Whitehall historic home grounds: same guy that jazzed up his neighborhood of Seneca Gardens, set about to diversify the plants at Whitehall. On ten acres he has again assembled quite the horticultural feast. With more of a gardenesque opportunity, there are shrub masses, conifers, and herbaceous plants of rarity that complement the canopy woodies.

Hidden Hill Nursery and sculpture display garden: Utica IN eclectic whimsical fun little place owned by local newspaper columnist, plant fancier, and art lover. You are welcome to purchase plants and art, or just meander.

Cave Hill Cemetery: Louisville's version of Cincy's Spring Grove Cemetery. Not quite as big (400 or so acres) but the same age (established around 1850). Great specimens of many great plants. You have never seen a Ginkgo biloba till you've experienced the behemoth at Cave Hill. Stop by George Rogers Clark's resting place, or Colonel Sanders.

That's probably more than you can cover in a weekend, and remain sane. Enjoy your trip, and look us up if you get a chance. Bring the Firmiana simplex seed(lings).

Here is a link that might be useful: Louisville Metro Parks

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yes, I think it was the Whitehall event I'm thinking of.
    Thanks for all the info, sounds like some interesting sight-seeing. I've heard of most at one time or another, but Louisville has always been just a bit off our beaten path . I'll get in touch with you again before the June event. I'm going to sow some firmiana simplex seed today and will have some left over I'm sure. I was wondering if you remembered my offer. I sent some to Kris Stone, but never heard from him as to how they developed. I have some nice third year seedlings I'm offering at our spring sale this year - they're maybe 3-4 ft tall now. One will go back into the grounds as the tree we have was planted way too close to a very nice katsura and the parasol is going to be removed - too big for our liking to transplant.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz