Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riotgrowww

Where to find Paw Paw Trees or Seeds ?

riotgrowww
20 years ago

I was just curious if anybody knew a place that was offering paw paw saplings for transplanting. I've recently found out about them and think they sound like a good tree to try to introduce to the forest where I'm living.

Comments (21)

• bakemom_gw
    20 years ago

Seems like Better Homes and Gardens did an article on that a while back. It looked like a nice tree that would be fun to grow. I think Oakland Nursery here in Columbus had some last year.

Sounds like a nice project. Let us know how it works out.
    Karen

• tonitime
    20 years ago

I'd like to recommend England's Orchard & Nursery in Kentucky.
    http://www.nuttrees.net
    Toni

• darrelbarrel
    20 years ago

Try www.gurneys.com. They are a mail order catalog. $11.95 for 1 or 2 for $10.75. I grew up on a street named pawpaw, never saw a tree though...lol

• tillable2000
    20 years ago

Don't know where you live but I was at Bakers Acres, (near Granville) yesterday and they had some, not tons but about 15 or so small plants in 1 gallon pots.Beware driving thru the very small town of Alexandria though,,,,MAJOR SPEED TRAP.....we got caught, $80 dollar fine for doing 35 mph. in a very poorly marked 25 mph zone,,,,

• MeMyselfAndI
    20 years ago

Did you know about the Ohio Paw Paw Festival? It's in September in Albany, OH (just SW of Athens.) Here is a good reference sheet about PP's. Especially the part about halfway down, "Pollenation." Apparently a lone tree will not product fruit. You did ask about a plural amount of saplings, so this may be something you already knew... Good luck!

• Dagget
    20 years ago

There is a fellow with a nursery down in Athens by the name of Five Springs, and I know he grows the ones sold by Oakland. He recently moved from Columbus, and still sells here at many events.
    D

• bakemom_gw
    20 years ago

How cool is that Dagget? Best wishes to all you Paw paw people! And yes, it was an article about the Paw paw festival and BHG that made me look and wonder!

Karen

• tillable2000
    20 years ago

Five Springs Farm has lots of PawPaws,,I was there yesterday, www.bamboofarm.com is their website, gallon pots were about $10, 3 gallon/$15 or something like that, the PawPaw festival is practically in my back yard, interesting event where you can sample lots of pawpaw products--also a small local company is marketing some products--www.integrationacres.com--the autumn chutney is to die for....and the simmer sauce for pork/chicken is really tasty too. I've been hearing rumors that the pawpaw may become our 'state fruit',,,(never knew we had a state fruit until I saw the article in the newspaper), since the pawpaw is our only native fruit tree. That is, of course, if the local politians have their way,,,LOL.

• sherry777
    20 years ago

I have some paw paw tree seeds... these have been stored in a moist pack in my frig., over the winter.
    Are you interested in them.?
    Sherry777

Here is a link that might be useful: Sherry's Trade List

• luvs_chai
    19 years ago

Sherry777

i would LOVE some of ur seeds- i have been trying to find a seed or start for months now!!

please email me if u have any left..
    crystalholshouser@charter.net

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    19 years ago

riotgrowww, if you live in the southwest part of Ohio, you might try Earthscapes Nursery on Rt 48 just north of Loveland. They usually have them.

I have a neighbor with a lone tree in his yard and I have not found any others nearby and it produces fruit and the seed has always been viable for me. Fresh seed is the key - get it in the fall, plant it and bury the pot in the ground or in a coldframe and cover with leaves. Pull it out in late March, place in a sunny but protected location and let Mother nature do her thing. Holler at me in August if you need any seed.

• gamaw60_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

int. jn growing fruit when i retire in 5 or 6 years

• johnchen
    11 years ago

I've bought paw paw tree from www.tytyga.com web site.
    the shipping goods just two sticks with no root bears at all. I don't know if this can be survived. should anyone can tell me?
    that web site customer supporter had controversial answers.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    11 years ago

Tyty has a very poor reputation

If there are no roots it is not something that can grow I think. If you scratch the bark gently with your fingernail, is there any green underneath? If not, it is dead.

Good luck getting your money back

• pawpaw1
    11 years ago

I have some pawpaw seedlings for interested gardeners in Lorain county.I will be happy to share.

• Hollsoph
    10 years ago

I am looking for pawpaw seeds, especially the mango pawpaw and the Pennsylvania Golden pawpaw. If anyone has some to spare and would mail them to me, I would be happy to pay for them. I don't have any seeds to trade because I am just beginning.

• Cheyenne76
    10 years ago

We have several growing wild in our woods and had no idea what they were until we had an arborist walking through with us who informed us of the PawPaw tree and pointed them out to us. Pretty neat. We ended up getting fruit off one, which was pretty tasty and we kept the seeds. Unfortunately though, the seeds have been sitting on our counter and so they are probably no longer any good since I read after about a week of having them that they need to be kept moist.

• ztom
    10 years ago

I just got a catalog from One Green World and they have 17 varieties of Paw Paw for sale. I have bought other trees from them and have been very satisfied.

• rusty_blackhaw
    8 years ago

Just a reminder that you need at least two trees of different varieties to ensure pollination and fruit.

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    8 years ago

Oakland Nursery - is that the one in Columbus OH?

Shooting Star Nursery in Georgetown, KY used to have a good selection of paw paws, but their website doesn't seem to be working. Could try calling them at (502) 867-7979.

as for rusty blackhaw's comment about needing two different varieties - that is generally the case, but our neighbor has one in their yard that produces fruit every year and I have not found another tree in this area. I'd buy two to be safe though.

Marshall