Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciagaye

2008 Louisville, KY plant swap

marciagaye
16 years ago

O.K. It is time to start thinking about dates for the swap. I will host it again. Check your calendars and see what works best for you. Thinking along the lines of Mid May throught first part of June.

Comments (55)

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sue...good post! There are other things we that all love to trade. I remember last year I gave away pots and got a Gardengirl to place in the garden. Also someone giving the year before some zip lock bags for collecting seeds. I gave away comnpost that year too. I hope that we have a good turn out this year again.

• nana8
    16 years ago

Yes,, by the end of May everything should be up and ready to swap. Can't wait. We moved into a house with a lot of plant material. Acually the yard sold the house, if you know what I mean. Let me know more when you have more infor available. Thanks, Marge

• huntermom
    16 years ago

Gotta check my work schedule. Would love to participate. Are we talking fancy "named" flower exchanges or things we have and love? Been making lots of garden junk and would like to trade/show off. Just found this forum and I'm thrilled. Edie

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Edie....Anything and everything is exchanged! Sometimes we don't know the exact name,just that we love it. We have fun and get new plants, ideas and just visit. I always have coffee ready and something to munch on...

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

Huntermon/Edie, You have no email link on your member page, thus no way to reach you. You can get that set up by clicking on the Member Pages link found in the green banner at the bottom of every page, and following the links.

Huntermom, I am very interested in your garden junk!

Everyone who might attend! please get your trade lists on your trade page started as things awaken, and things come to mind that you will either have to swap (or just share due to excess) or things that you are looking for. Making some prearranged trades or sharing offers assures that members will go home with some of their specific wants. I will be updating my list in the next month or so, as I see what has been lost, and then later will post a swap thread on the Exchange side of the forum.

Once a date is decided, and we know who is planning to come, we can scour one another's lists...what fun to both fill someone's wants as well as get a few of out own.

kyplantjunkie/Robin, Hopefully hubby will be getting along well by then, that you can maybe get away for at least a bit on the morn of the swap. The more the merrier!
    I see you have a trade list up. You have one of my wants and I have one of yours!

Sue..making note to self to offer some storm windows for cold frames if anyone is interested

• dreamspirit
    16 years ago

The end of May sounds great to me.

There is a possibility that I will be moving, and if I do, I am going to have to dig up ALL of my plants (what little I do have) and move them. No way am I going to leave my babies behind. I'll have to start new beds and everything. I'm worried about my plants though. I just hope they make the move. Any suggestions?

~~ Marla Jo

• broodyjen
    16 years ago

I'm pretty sure I could come the last weekend in May. Not sure I will have plants to bring. I'm already 6 months pregnant, and can hardly bend over as it is. I have no idea how I will be getting plants in and out of the ground this spring.

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

JEN....GREAT news! When is your due date? Do you know if it is a boy or girl? You can come and just sit and prop your feet up. We will do everything for you!!!!

• kilngod
    16 years ago

The first weekend of June would work best for me. How many that have posted already could do 1st Sat in June?
    I've got 400 things wintersown already (and still sowing) and a husband who is a fab cook -- there's the bait! lol!

I have a family gathering the last week of May (out of state), and don't know if I could get things ready ahead, if they would survive my absence, and I'd have to rearrange my return drive (9+hrs, ugh).

I'll keep checking back to see what gets set and see what I can swing. I've been looking forward to this swap! fingers crossed!

--Tina / kilngod

• huntermom
    16 years ago

May 31/June 1st sounds great for me. I need to know as soon as you know....have to request off from work. Makes schedules out soon for next month.
    Worked today on garden junk, concrete, bead bugs, totems, plant markers etc. I'm getting excited!!

• broodyjen
    16 years ago

Marcia--I'm due July 18th, and we are having a surprise.

I think I found some girlfriends who want to come to the plant swap, too. They are both fairly new to gardening and worried that they might not have much to trade, but I am encouraging them to come anyway. I told them how generous all of you guys are! I've sent them a link to this forum, so hopefully they will post here.

Jen

• huntermom
    16 years ago

Duh is me. Been reading about swaps from last year. What is a toad lily and a candy lily? Don't know if ya don't ask right? Thanks Edie

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nance...they are starting to bloom now, so when they are done, I will dig one up for you.

Jen....by all means please bring your friends. We are always begging people to take stuff home.

Edie... I will find a decent link to send to you with pictures of a tody lily and candy lily.

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Edie...here is a link for the toad lily I have...I got it from Bluestone perennials years ago...You will probably have to copy and paste the site. http://www.bluestoneperennials.com

16 years ago

Marcia,

If you put the URL (that you posted above) in the Optional Link URL box at the bottom of the message box, and then give it a name, it will then be clickable...like below.

That link below brings up their Home Page, but here are the results of a search there on Toad Lily

Sue...who has learned a 'little' HTML

Here is a link that might be useful: Bluestone Perennials

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks... I am computer dumb....
    Date...Can everyone make it June 7th? Let me know a.s.a.p

16 years ago

June 7th works for me! A little later (like that)is better for me anytime, as I am always running behind it seems. Folks with WS babies will have bigger babies to trade/share...hopefully.
    I'm wanting to see/know what all those 400 varieties Kilngod/Tina has planted....though I know they won't all be up for trade.

Sue...who needs to start rooting some cuttings NOW!

• kilngod
    16 years ago

I'm game for June 7th, too. Yes, gives w/s things an extra week to get a little bigger.

Sue, I've got my main list posted on my trade page already. Am getting it updated with the additions and what has sprouted enough for "trade-ables" potential. Some might be small amounts, but there's a nice variety. (have results from over half already, yippee!)

16 years ago

Woohoo! What a list Kilngod/Tina I AM impressed!
    I won't go into the particulars of my wants(that you have) or your wants (that I have) but I think you and I alone could do a big ole swap. Thanks so much for posting your lists. That is a great help to me in starting to get things together for you.

Marcia, I am going a little postal trade with ngraham/Nancy and am trying to convince her of coming. She is near Bowling Green I think, and I told her I thought we could make it well worth her while hopefully with some nice prearranged trades....besides it just being a nice outing for the day. She is 'into' native woodlands, so I think you and I for 2 could sure help her out there. She has a trade list posted too.

Sure wish nance/'original Nancy (has lists posted) and Marthelouis (no list posted-yet) for 2 would check in with us....along with so many others. Reckon they are all to busy in the garden to be computing?

Oh, Jen, Congratulations... I am sooo excited for you!
    I see you have a trade list posted...surely there are 'more' things of interest to you than what you have posted...hint, hint.

Dream spirit/Marla Jo, (see I'm trying to put member think member names and real names, so I won't be/get so confused come swap day) Do you know anything more about the move? I'd just start potting up starts to be moved, and divide a bit off and pot up for the swap. If you start now, you can hopefully get it done and not have to leave any babies behind. Get your wish lists up too!!! Hear?

Please everyone...check in here and let our hostess know if June 7th works for everyone.

Get those trade lists posted please! I will be moving some things in the next month and a half b4 the swap, and would like to pot things up that folks are interested in, rather than disturbing them again much later. I want to share so many things and fill some items on wish lists. Additionally, some natives will disappear and go dormant b4 the swap, so if one does not speak up early, they may not even be able to be found...hint, hint.

Sue...a ringleader

• huntermom
    16 years ago

Yep, June 7 will prob work better for. Can't wait! Edie

16 years ago

Just to get this show on the road, I started a thread, wanted: 2008 Louisville, Ky plant swap-prearranged trades/shares on the Exchange side of the Forum here.

I'm hoping to try and lure some folks showing some interest in setting the date, as well as getting their lists up (even if it is just their Wants) so I can fill some things.

• nance
    16 years ago

Yes Sue, I have finally got my plant list updated.lol You made me feel bad. Not really.
    I am so looking forward for this plant swap I hope all my seedlings do well. They will need a new home.
    I will be adding on later.
    Thank you Marcia. I will try and not kill this plant. I think I planted too deep.
    See you there!!!
    Nancy from Valley Station

• broodyjen
    16 years ago

Sue, I was going to say Taskmaster, but Ringleader is probably a little nicer sounding! Ha ha ha!

I will update my list right now. Sadly, I kinda got away from gardening a little last year. I had a rough summer, and we were house-shopping, so I wasn't really into planting a lot. Now it looks like we will stay put another couple of years, so I can try to bend over and dig in the dirt again this spring.

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

O.K. The date is....drum roll please.....JUNE 7TH. The time is 10 a.m. For those who have not attended before....I am about 1 mile from the I-64/Blankenbaker exit. E-mail me and I will give you directions. Also if you have forgotten how to get here....just let me know. It is very easy to find me. We set up on the back of my driveway, where we have a large turn-a-round....or that is what I call it. If it is raining, we will just move into the garage. OOPS>>>don't tell Dwight I said that. LOL... I will have coffee and something to munch on. If you have a card table, T.V. tables...it is easier to sit things on those rather than the driveway, so the tags can be seen better....but we do whatever works for people. If you are not sure what you want to do where at your house.....bring pictures and we can help with ideas and of course plants.

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tina....WOW !!!!! Your list is fantastic. Where in the world do you place all your seedlings? Do you have a greenhouse? I am going to spend some time with your list, but I do have for you toad lily, sedum, hosta, possibly some astible.

• dreamspirit
    16 years ago

Chenocurl, I am probably going to be moved by the first of June. I hope. Actually, I don't have a request list because I will take just about anything. And I'm not sure exactly what I want. LOL I got some nice plants at the fall swap and will definitely be taking them with me.

Marcia, turns out I have something I have to do the last Saturday in May, so June 7th would work better for me. :)

Can't wait to see everyone.

Nancy, I am actually moving a little closer to you. Moving to Valley Station, just past Terry Road, off of Greenwood.

Just thought about something. There IS one thing I would like, if Marcia has some to share....the loofah gourd. Is that right?

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marla Jo...yes I have the gourds and seeds. I will have them for the swap.

Sue....was it you that wanted more of the Thalia narcicuss??? I think I spelled that wrong....LOL

• kilngod
    16 years ago

Marciagaye, Thanks darlin' :) I've got them in an army of milk jugs in the backyard. Some of them are a full jug of the same thing, others divided up into 2/3/4/6 sections. So some things are small amounts, but some are sprouting well enough that I figure they can be divided into 2 (maybe 3) pieces -- like 1 or 2 plants or a mini HOS.

I went a little wild with seed trading and wintersowing -- didn't ws so well last year, only about 25% success, containers were too small and had drying issues. Overcompensated a little this year (lol!), have a neighbor with 6 kids (drinking milk pretty fast!) that has been my supplier, and I needed the extra fun.

Yogurt containers are in the wings waiting for their trade "inserts". The ones on the list without the *** beside are ones I'm not confident about yet. (either low or no sprouting so far)

I'm soooo looking forward to the swap! I'm peeking at your lists already!

• nance
    16 years ago

Marla Jo...
    So pleased to have you moving in my area! maybe anyone have time this Saturday April 19-20, there will be a plant and herb sale at Riverside,the farnsley-Moremen Landing at 7410 Moorman Road. i will be there helping out. hope to see you there
    Oh time 8 am-2 Sat
    12-3 Sunday
    Nancy

• jennyfoo
    15 years ago

Please count me in! I'm a longtime lurker on many forums but this is the first time I've seen this! Jennifer

• huntermom
    15 years ago

Getting excited. Am bringing some birdhouse gourds, marble plant markers, maybe a totem,, bottle bugs and would like to trade for whatever. I also have lots of wine corks and bottles if anyone is interested, let me know.See my page or email me at edie_hunter_979@msn.com

• nance
    15 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    Just a note to say I have up dated my swap list if you care to take a peek.
    Nancy

• kate151
    15 years ago

I would like to come! I'll be updating my plant have/want list.

• kygirl99
    15 years ago

you guys have talked me into attending (on another thread). I look forward to this! Is it May 31 or June 7?

I actually have some herbs that I can bring. And my mom has been wanting to thin out some of her stuff in her garden so I can probably bring her with me and her trading stuff. I'll put a list together and post it soon.

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Great !!! The more the merrier! E-mail me and tell me where you will be coming from and I will give you directions. It is June 7th at my house....out in the east end of Louisville...Middletown/I-64 and Blankenbaker area.

• kilngod
    15 years ago

Hi everyone!

A trader friend, Penelope, is thinking about coming too -- she's got a 3hr drive and a time change to boot. She's working on updating her plant lists (pretty extensive already). Check them out, and let's see about drumming up some pre-arranged trades with her to encourage the trip.

Screenname: Penelope
    Name: Penny

--Tina/kilngod

Here is a link that might be useful: Penelope's Trade Page

• nana8
    15 years ago

I am thinning our some plain old orange daylillies, do you think I should bring some or just haul them to the curb?? We have always just called them ditch lillies previously, but someone may want them for the back 40 or something ya think? I will also be bringing some resurection lillies, iris and yucca, and snowdrops. Can't wait., please E mail me with directions if possible.
    Marge

• kate151
    15 years ago

nana8, please bring the daylillies, I would be interested in them!

• kilngod
    15 years ago

Yes, I'd be interested in those ditch lilies too!

• nana8
    15 years ago

That is good news, as I do hate to throw anything out. I hope to be there with my ditch lillies. Can't wait.

15 years ago

nana8...would you maybe bring me a few snowdrops? ...and please check my plant list for things of interest. It needs a bit of updating.

Sue

• penelope
    15 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement Tina. Yes, I'm planning to come. I've updated my plant list and look forward to looking at everyone else's list.

Penny in Western KY

• huntermom
    15 years ago

Nana8 would love some snow drops. Can't wait!!!!

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Penny...glad you are joining us. I took a quick peek at your wants and do have 2 different anemones for you. I will take a better look at you list within the next day. E-mail me and tell me how you will be coming up here...which interstate ....and I will give you directions to my house.

• maryisadaisy
    15 years ago

I am new to the site (my boss just told me about it), but I had a plant sale a couple of weeks ago and have lots of stuff left over that still need homes (and no one left to give them to). Your swap sounds like the perfect place for my plants to be adopted. I have hosta, canna lillies, irises, black eye susan, 4 0'clocks, maple trees, hens and chicks, and many more! If it is okay that I also come, could you please email me with the date of the swap and directions? (I would be coming from Mt. Washington) Thanks! :)

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Maryisadaisy....YES !!!! Join us...it is June 7 at 10:00a.m. at my house. We will find homes for all your orphans plus you will probably find some plants that you can't live without...LOL. My address is 404 Bruner Hill Dr, zip code 40243....Take 265E (Snyder) to I-64 West. Once you are on 64 the first exit you come to is Blankenbaker Parkway....take it and go North...to the right. Go to your 3rd stoplight and turn right....you will go down a little ways and the road makes a hard bend to the left. DO NOT take that bend...instead turn right on the bend and you will be in a section of Douglass Hills....I am the 3rd house on the right. Phone is 502-245-1015. We are going to have a great time swapping plants.

15 years ago

Hi Maryisadaisy,

Yes...please come. You don't have an email link on your Member Page , thus no one can email you. Why not post the things you have to trade/share, and the plants you might be interested in receiving, to your Member Trade List. Both can be set up via the Member Pages link in the green banner at the bottom of everypage.

Penny, I got your email, and will get back with you on some specifics (trades/shares) when I get caught up a bit on plants that are going out, and coming via mail right now. I am overwhelmed and need to get stuff planted today, as I don't mail late in the week. More is expected 'in' today...sigh

Sue

• penelope
    15 years ago

I've updated my seed list with things that I have extras of from this Spring. E-mail me directly if you would like for me to save you some for our plant swap on June 7th. Don't forget to put Garden Web in the subject box of your email.

Thanks,
    Penny
    a63penny2003@yahoo.com

Here is a link that might be useful: Exchange Page

• dreamspirit
    15 years ago

I haven't been on the site in a while, been really busy with my kiddo and trying to get the "new" house ready to move into. It's been empty for 7 years, so lots of dust, dirt, cobwebs.

I am going to take pictures around the yard and bring them with me so you can see what I have to work with. I need some good advice about what to plant where.

Oh, I haven't told you what my hubby did, I don't think. I had not put a border around the flower bed here at the "old" house and .... well, I'm sure you can guess. He mowed down part of the bed. At least he left what was in the corner. ARG

See you all soon.

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL.....did he act like he did not see the bed? My husband will argue with me about a "weed" growing in the garden and I have to tell him not to touch it and then later show him that it was a flower....we go through this every year.....same plants!!! This year though...he knew better than to ask.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022