Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
princess_mimi

I know it's SPRING when...

princess_mimi
18 years ago

The vernal eqinox has passed, the plants are starting to wake up but you REALLY know it's spring when...(Help me out here folks!)

I know it's REALLY spring when...

...I get my Baker's acres catalogue.

...I paint my toe nails to cover the dirt under them!

...I find mud turning to dust in the house from my five (six?) heathens.

...I realize that we haven't cleaned up the dog doo from the yard all winter.

Now share yours!!!

~~Mimi

Comments (11)

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Good question!

I know it's spring when..

I see my back door neighbor (Mimi) in her yard doing a few things.

I look around my yard and can start to really see things I can dig up for the plant swap.

I see mud trapsed in the back door.

I start to fill up the yard waste barrell from the first clean up.

My DH and I start really talking about plans for the yard this summer while we are outside.

The goldfinches are starting to turn yellow again.

Mimi's boys start coming to the back door asking if I have any jobs for them in the yard (or for my delicious water).

I start to spot the urban commando bunnies.

I hear lots more chirping outside. Also, see the many birdhouses getting action.

I see my purple primula start to bloom and forsythia in fat buds.

Lot's of winter sowing sprouts appear.

I take my tea outside for a walkabout in the yard.

I see so many emerging plants...amazing...I love it.

Folks getting excited about the May plant swap.

When Mimi and I call each other in excitment - and do our annual happy flower dance as the flowers start to bloom!!

I know there's more...that's all for now.

Beverly

• bakemom_gw
    18 years ago

The self sown lunaria sprout.

The squirrels drive my cats crazy.

My back patio is packed with sprouting jugs.

I can do my cardio without chapping my lips and nose.

• princess_mimi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I start stripping my bathtub! Hee! Hee! (so I can prime, paint and plant it!) ;)

~~Mimi

• alison
    18 years ago

I realize I have got to quit flicking cigarettes off the porch when I finish smoking.

I take a piece of paper and pencil on my morning walk, to write plants or combination of plants I want to remember.

The cat tries to let himself out the door.
    {{gwi:1070839}}

• gardengirl_17
    18 years ago

I see the red shoots of my peonies coming up;

I make my first trip of the year to Oakland Nursery and spend wads of cash;

I highlight and tab my Bakers Acres catalog, and start making my other catalog orders;

My back muscles ache from the first big day in the yard (I took the day off yesterday and it Gorgeous! ) and my hands are all cut up from cutting back my perennials and vines without wearing my gloves;

We come in from the yard at dark and make hamburgers on the grill! :)

• storygardener
    18 years ago

Alsion..what a hoot!! The cat trying to let himself out. Love it!

Beverly

• thinkdirt
    18 years ago

Okay I think I have a few:

You know it is Spring when.

When you go to Lowes in the pouring down rain for a bag of dirt and come home with a new tree.

when you are in physical therapy for a frozen shoulder and the morning before you go you lift about 200 lbs of rocks then go and they tell you the all the excercises have really paid off. I couldn't resist I told them it had nothing to do with therapy but all the rocks I lifted.

When you walk around your yard with shovel in hand because you just have to move something.

the fish in the pond are up and looking for food and you don't have any, so you give them cornflakes.

All the plants you orderd online won't be shipped for another 3 weeks and you want to call them and say it's spring darn it ship them NOW.

My gardening shoes are so muddy you can't lift them because I just had to go out and do something in the yard.

JoAnn

• blackswamp_girl
    18 years ago

When I go back to my parents' house just so I can see the floor of the woods carpeted with trilliums! (I picked them, along with woodland phlox, every year for Mom as cut flowers when I was a kid--OOPS.)

• princess_mimi
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi folks!

Alison-I had two Siamese that worked together and DID let themselves out!

Swamp girl-I bet it's beautiful at your folks'! I picked trillium from the Pennsylvania hills when I was a kid. Who knew?!?

Jo Ann- I know what you mean!

I rearranged some tchachkas (sp) in the garden, scrounged granite for under the clawfoot tub, primed the tub, got more goodies for the garden at a yard sale and curb shopped even more today, winter sowed more stuff, and bought flats to start things indoors!

What fun!

~~Mimi

• blackswamp_girl
    18 years ago

I just came in from doing a little cleanup to post another one:

I know that it's spring when the dog starts eating grass outside. :(

(Yet another reason for more plants and less grass!!! lol.)

• granny57
    18 years ago

I promise not to go overboard;
    I know it's spring when; I have to beat the LadyBugs to get in or out of the house.

Todays Memories Are Tomorrows Treasures
    May You Have Many Yesterdays!!!

Sponsored