Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

What kinds of plants have you ordered?

bakemom_gw
18 years ago

I have 101 containers winter sown and have planned to take my annual pilgrimmage to Baker's Acres in Alexandria to purchase some lovelies. But, I have also tried something different this year and have ordered five different varieties of echinaceas to arrive by mail.

Have YOU ordered any PLANTS this year?

Comments (11)

• michigoose
    18 years ago

I've ordered roses, and far too many daylillies. I also ordered two lotus. I've ws 79 containers and have some more to go. I ordered some black velvet geraniums and some King Kong coleus, as well as some very dark castor beans. I hope to start the coleus and the pelargoniums today. Oh yeah...and I ordered an Australian Black canna, and some funky dahlias. I might start those today too.

I'm probably going to order some asparagus, some persimmon and some Asian pears....I've been sort of dragging my feet on those....I guess because I've never done them before.

I've been trying to be good. Too bad I'm sadly bad at being good....

• kowalleka
    18 years ago

bakemom,
    You'll love the echinacea. I have almost all the new varieties and they do great around here.

Have tons of seeds ws'd and waiting to come up. The only plants I've ordered so far are two new heuchera that I haven't seen around here. And then, of course, later on, I will order tons of bearded iris. And then try to find places to plant all these new things!!!!!

• storygardener
    18 years ago

I may order a new daylily - not sure which one, though. I can't wait for spring!!

• gdionelli
    18 years ago

"Far too many daylilies" describes me, too. I'm putting the final touches now on daylily orders to Gail Austin and Marietta Gardens. I want some reblooming iris, which I'll probably order from Nicholls. I plan also to get a couple of new miniature roses from Bridges' -- haven't chosen which yet -- and I'm poring over several other catalogs, but I'm not going to take any more action till I find out how much of my wintersowing actually germinates. (I believe, I believe...)

• plantsnobin
    18 years ago

I have gone way overboard. I have no idea where I am going to put these things, but here is a short list of some that I am most looking forward to: Anemonopsis macrophylla, Deinanthe caerulea, Glaucidium palmatum, Arisaema consanguineum'Silver Center', Roscoea cautleoides, several Salvias, Thymes, Lilies, old Roses, Clematis, Thalictrums, and the list goes on. I think online ordering is way too easy. I may need a 12-step program.

• thecook
    18 years ago

Roses. Mary's in Cincinnati, Pickering,and Chamblees. Might place one more order to Rose Fire in Edon, Ohio. Almost forgot a small order (15) of bareroot trees from Cold Stream that should be coming soon!

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Oh yeah. Forgotten orders....like ummm the HUGE order I put in to Bluestone....I matched my mother's three digit house warming gift...I'm going to be up to my wazoo.

• gardengirl_17
    18 years ago

I have 4 new dayllies coming from the Lily Auction. I'll probably be back there soon to order more. I have been making lists from my usual mail order nurseries but haven't placed the orders yet. I plan to order a few Clematis from Chalk Hill, several peonies from Song Sparrow, Penstemons and other miscellaneous perennials from High Country Gardens and Forest Farm.
    And I am with BakeMom, I'll be making the trek to Bakers Acres in the Spring to purchase my annuals and tropicals. I love that place! :D

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Where's Baker's Acres?

• bakemom_gw
    Original Author
    18 years ago

mmmm Baker's Acres is about 25 miles east of my hood between Columbus and Newark. They are the best. I love their beautiful plant offerings - they have it all. The staff is wonderful and the bring a friend Tuesdays is a ton of fun. One thing I really enjoy about it is their incredible selection of coleus.

They provided a generous gift certificate to our swap last year. It was such a nice guesture. It's a real pleasure to shop at a solo operation where they do everything well. Can't say enough good things. I am planning a vacation day around this trek adn really looking forward to it.

Now, on the way home, I stop at Carfagnas on 161. It's another great sole proprietership italian grocery with a wonderful meat counter and deli. Such a great day. Hats off to two great businesses.

• michigoose
    18 years ago

Cool. I'll have to make a trip over. I have to go to Columbus soon so...I'll just meander my way over...Too bad gas is so high!