Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kydaylilylady

Shelbyville KY Art and Garden Fair -- April 28th

kydaylilylady
17 years ago

The Shelby County Master Gardeners and the Shelby County Farmer's Market will again have the Art and Garden Fair April 28th at the Shelby County Fair Grounds in Shelbyville. The fairgrounds is located right on US 60. The Master Gardeners will have plants from their garden available for sale and the Farmers' Market will have annuals and perennials for sale as well as some spring veggies, fresh eggs and crafts. I happen to know for a fact that there will be one person there with a wide variety of bare root daylilies selling at very reasonable prices! There will be food vendors as well as folks there from some of the plant societies.

Mark your calendars for some bargains. I'll be set up down in the market barn! Come on down and introduce yourself!

Janet

Comments (14)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Thanks for posting , so far in advance. Is this the first time, or is it an annual thing?

Be listening for me. I will be the one with lots of jingle in my pockets, and with bells on.

Woohoo! I've got the calender marked and hope to meet you there!

Sue

• kydaylilylady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

This is a yearly thing. The Master Gardeners use this as a fund raiser and the Farmer's Market uses this day as a festive way to start the market year. Hope to see some of you there!

Janet

• kygirl99
    17 years ago

what kind of plants will be available?

• kydaylilylady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The master gardeners do a lot of digging out of their own gardens so I'm sure there will be some variety. In the past there have been vendors selling potted hosta. I'll have probably 15-20 varieties of bare root daylilies and have potted up about 25 varieties of asiatic and oriential lilies that I'll have down in the Farmer's Market area. If someone wants a cultivar from the 1000 others that I won't dig that day, I can deliver to the farmer's market the next week. The market folk usually have annuals and usually Gallerin Farms is there with their annuals by the wagon load. The FFA kid have a big greenhouse out by the high school and they'll have flat bed wagons of plants. A lot of the plant societies will be there and if you're interested in something they can probably find you a source for whatever you're looking for.

Come on out. Though it showered last year we all had a blast. The market barn is of course under cover and lots of folks had tents so the rain didn't slow us down a bit!

Janet

• kygirl99
    17 years ago

sounds great, thanks so much for all the info. we'll definitely be attending.

• kydaylilylady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Just bringing this back up to remind folks if they want to go...

Janet

17 years ago

I still have the date 'inked' in on my must go to garden activity calender!

Here is a blurb I found on line

April 28, 2007 9:00AM - 2:00PM
    The Shelby County Master Gardener Association presents a Garden and Art Fair at the Shelby County Fairgrounds Pavillion, US 60 at Highway 53 North. The Fair will feature gardening experts and information, plant sales, commercial vendors, arts and crafts and more. For information, contact Vicki Sutherland - 502.633.3248.

"and more"....I hope that means lots and lots of food vendors.
    Janet?

9AM-2PM...hmmm, I'd best start practicing getting up early now, so I can be sure to be there b4 they open..something that rarely ever happens.

Sue

17 years ago

Thought I'd bring this back up...in case anyone free next weekend wants to plan on coming/going.

I'm gettin all excited already/still!

Sue...who just loves a good Art and Garden Fair

• kygirl99
    17 years ago

is it in the same barn where the weekly farmer's market is held? guess it will be hard to miss, since the fairgrounds aren't THAT big! :)

I'll make sure to say hi, Janet, if we make it out there, as we plan to do. We want to add lots of gorgeous daylilies to our landscaping, which we have lots of to do at our newly built house.

• kydaylilylady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I know that there'll be some food vendors and I'll have muffins and about 20 different kinds of quick breads in addition to asiatic , oriental and daylilies. I think the truck will be full!

Janet

17 years ago

Wow, Janet...you're gonna be a one stop shopping place it seems...will just have to get me a cold beverage, and I'll be all set.

About how big is this thing? How many booths about? How much time should I plan to spend to see it all? I'm really hoping to get there as early as I can, after going out to breakfast.

You will be set up with or near the Master Gardeners? I've never been to the Fairgrounds (or even Shelbyville for that matter).

I'm not into a lot of the 'crafty' stuff so much, but do really enjoy 'art'...like the art found at some of the local juried art shows. I'm always on the lookout for some art, made by (and maybe even signed) by a local artist....besides getting to meet them and discuss their art.

Sue...now really getting all excited all over again!

• kydaylilylady
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The Master Gardeners are set up near the show ring and stands. The Market is just about 300 ft. down the hill in an open sided barn. If you're coming in on I-64 take the Hwy 55 exit and turn towards Shelbyville. You will run into US 60. Turn right and the fairgrounds is about 3 miles in. It's directly across from the First Baptist Church.

I don't know exactly how many vendors will be at the Fair. I'm guessing at least 25-30.

BTW, the Salato Center (Game Farm to all us older folk) is having it's Native Plant Sale from 9-4 on Saturday also. That's located on US 60 just outside of Frankfort. You can attend the Garden Fair and then just tool on up the road and finish off your buying spree with native wildflowers....

Janet

17 years ago

sheesh...now another sale I've got to attend that day too.

I started a thread with the info on the native sale...complete with a list of what is available...all plants are $5 or $6 there.

Sue

• marciagaye
    17 years ago

As of now I plan to be there. Going to be wearing my fanny pack, so my arms are free to carry everything....LOL

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!