Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
April 7&8 2007 Annual Leota (Southern Indiana) Daffodil Show

Posted by chemocurl zone 5/6 S IN (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 07 at 12:31

will be held at the Leota Barn. View the flowers from exhibitors for several states. Show hours are 2:00 to 10;00 on April 7 and 8;00 AM to 10 PM on April 8. The nearby Leota Gardens will be open for viewing. For more information call 812-752-2998.

The above info was in my REMC newsletter. For anyone who really enjoys daffs, this is the place to see a lot of varieties, up close and personal.

For years I admired a daffodil named Rose, which actually smelled like a like a real rose. I finally added it to my collection late last fall.

Others that stood out for me were the many pink (and white) varieties. I have seen it said that there are no true 'pink' daffs, but there are always many very pretty ones that looked pretty pink to me.

Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: April 7&8 2007 Annual Leota (Southern Indiana) Daffodil Show

Sue, where is Leota Gardens?

o

I believe Leota Gardens is the name given to the residence of Helen Trueblood...The organizer of the Daffodil Show and President of the Southern Indiana Daffodil Growers Society.

Leota is a small community...actually a small crossroads in the country. There is a new covered bridge where the 2 roads cross. The Show is held in 'the Community Building' (barn)...within about 200 ft of the bridge.

Helen lives across the road, and about 4 years ago, she told me she had 1500+ varieties of daffodils growing then.

If time allows, she might accompany one on a tour of her gardens, (or a part on them) and I am always filled with questions about the many things she has growing. She once grabbed a spade and shared divisions of a sedum, and celendine poppy with me and a friend.

She is 87 years old, and truly one of the most interesting and amazing folks I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Leota at Indiana crossroads

o

Is it close to Louisville?

o

Yes...fairly close to Louisville. Scottsburg (exit 29) is 29 miles north of Louisville, and then it is about 10 minutes to Leota after exiting the Interstate at Scottsburg.

Sue

o

just 3 more days, so I thought I'd bring this back to the top here.

Is anyone planning on attending? Exhibiting?

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here