Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
photobug_gw

Franklin Park Conservatory Chihuly & BF's

Photobug
20 years ago

I visited the Franklin Park Conservatory (Columbus) yesterday to see the Dale Chihuly art glass and the butterflies. It was truly amazing! The glass was incorporated into the plantings and hung from the ceilings. The butterflies thought they were flowers :-)

The glass is there until July 4 and the butterflies are there until September. It's well worth the trip and time.

I've attached a link to some pics I took. There are 2 albums, 1 for glass, 1 for butterflies. Enjoy!

Rhonda

Here is a link that might be useful: Franklin Park Conservatory

Comments (11)

• KathyOH
    20 years ago

I enjoyed your picts. You are very talented. Sounds like a good quick trip.

• storygardener
    20 years ago

WOW!!! These pictures are really outstanding. He is such a talented artist. I love the way things are fashioned into the landscape of the conservatory.

thank you so much for posting these!

...Beverly

• Photobug
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks Kathy and Beverly! The pictures really don't do justice to the beauty of the glass. Some were huge, 20 feet tall.

I'll probably try to get back on a Wednesday when it is open until 8:00 to get some night shots.

Rhonda

• FlowrPowr
    20 years ago

Oh my gosh, how neat. I really admire Chihulys' work. I recently watched a special about his glass blowing. It really is amazing. I am definitely going to have to take a little road trip. Thanks for the info!

• bakemom_gw
    20 years ago

My daughter's been and really enjoyed it. The Hawke Gallery here in town also has Chihuly and other great artists. We played hookey one day and had lunch at the Mohawk and then a gallery hop at Hawke's. The owner was there and was so charming and gave us a nice overview of the artists shown. Do both if you get a chance.

I love art glass!

• Photobug
    Original Author
    20 years ago

FlowerPower,

You're welcome! I saw that wonderful special too.

Bakemom,

Thanks for the info on the Hawke Gallery. I'll definitely check it out :-)

Rhonda

• bolecke
    20 years ago

I went about a month ago....I was more interested in the orchids, but the glass was nice too...incorporated well with the plants

• bakemom_gw
    20 years ago

Rhonda and everyone in Columbus, you will recognize the Hawke gallery as the old Main Street Furniture store with the infamous gold lame' bedroom set that sat in the window for ages. It was quite a stirring sight - very inspirational on the way to the courthouse every morning at 8:00 a.m.

I asked the folks at Hawke if they kept it and they laughed and said they have had a ton of comments but didn't buy the furniture with the space. Anyone else remember this rather dubious landmark?

• Floral_Artistry
    20 years ago

As an added bonus, there was a plant sale there yesterday. They have some nice things there. I know, I helped a friend price them. There is another sale sometime around Mother's Day. They will have more orchids on that sale as well. They have some really nice yellow cymbidiums that are currently in the palm house that will be on that sale.
    They had some Gower Ramsey oncidiums that went for $15 in flower and $6 out of bloom.
    It is a great place to go shopping if you don't mind the crowds.
    Oh, and to be on topic, the Chihuly exhibit has brought record crowds to the conservatory and is a grat fundraiser for a park that has had 60% of it's funding ended by the parks dept. So, if you have not been, go. It is so worth it. Not just for the glass but also for the fact of helping the conservatory being able to afford more orchids for shows.

John Ingram

• storygardener
    19 years ago

I went to see the Chihuly exhibit today. It's a real WOWSER!! It will be there until July 4. There's still a bit of time. If you have a chance...it's well worth the trip.

They did a beautiful job of combining the glass sculpture in the gardens and around the conservatory.

...Beverly

• alison
    16 years ago

And more than three years later....

I got some great pictures of the remaining Chihuly pieces when I went to the conservatory, and thought I'd share them. Yes, Virginia; there's still plenty of Chihuly glass at the Park!

A slow reveal of my favorite piece, "Sunset Tower". This is at least 20 tall, nestled in plants (currently surrounded by Dancing Ladies orchids!)

{{gwi:1070899}}

{{gwi:1070902}}

{{gwi:1070903}}

{{gwi:1070904}}

Approaching the koi pond with the Chihuly "floats":

{{gwi:1070905}}A better shot of the floats:

{{gwi:1070906}}

The fish don't seem to mind sharing the pond!

{{gwi:1070907}}

If you look up as you walk down the corridor to the Palm House, you see this installation, and have the eerie feeling of being undewater, and looking up thru a whole lot of sealife!
    {{gwi:1070908}}

A poor picture of one of two "chandeliers" hanging in the Palm House. (I think this portion of the conservatory was in shadow at the time.) It's all delicate pastel yellow, greens and blues.
    {{gwi:1070909}}

And a few shots from ornamentation on the little gazebos in the Palm House, that are no longer there. (Not sure when they took them down.)

{{gwi:1070910}}

{{gwi:1070911}}

{{gwi:1070912}}

Just thought I'd share the photos!

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida