Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciagaye

Louisville Spring Plant Swap

marciagaye
17 years ago

I know it is early, but with this weather...well I had to post. I will again host the spring plant swap. I was thinking late May. Last year we had it the first Saturday in June. I am open to anything. Let me know if you are interested and what Saturday morning you would like to do this. For those who did not attend last year...we had TONS of plants! Even if you are a beginning gardener, we will have lots of plants for you. We swapped plants, ideas and other gardening items. It was fun and very casual.. I live in the Middletown area...Douglass Hills.

Comments (35)

• alanrocks
    17 years ago

I would be interested. I live in Lyndon. I germinate a lot from seed and divide from plants in the yard, so I should have 20 - 40 different types of plants. This time of year it is hard to tell what is still alive in the pots. My plant stock from last year is on my trade list. Let me know by e-mailing me directly at deepskyspy@insightbb.com because I don't get on the GardenWeb very often.
    Alan

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Oh Marcia,

I am so glad you are going to host it again this season.
    Anytime is fine with me.

I doubt if the last Sat in May (Memorial Day weekend) would be good for some to make it.

May 19th 'might' be a little early...you think?

June 2nd sounds perfect.

As it stands though for me now, I'm open to any date, and will 'ink it in on the calender as soon as a date is picked.

Check my list, and see if there is anything you (or daughter (?) might want/need.

Thanks! You've got me all excited at just the thought of it.

Sue

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sue...you are right. I did not even think about Memorial Day.....So let's see what people prefer June 2nd or the 9th. I am looking forward to it also. I really enjoyed last year.

• broodyjen
    17 years ago

Marcia,

I would prefer June 2nd over the 9th. I guess I should go start some seeds so I'll have something to trade.

Perhaps we will have "bought the farm" (literally) by then, and either I will have new stuff to dig up, or I will need all the help I can get.

I do look forward to it. I had a great time last year.

Jen

• alanrocks
    17 years ago

I will be out of town the 1st weekend of June. Memorial Day Weekend would be fine. I think the Fleur de Lis Garden Festival is in Waterfront Park that weekend, so it would be perfect because folks could hit both! The earlier the better! I'd be game for a fall swap as well!

Alan

• dreamspirit
    17 years ago

What if you don't have anything to swap? I am trying to make a bare yard look nice. When I moved in to my now husbans's house 2 1/2 years ago, there was nothing, and I mean nothing, in the way of landscaping. We planted a redbud that fall. I have a few plants, but not much. Can someone get some plants if they don't have any to swap?

Marla Jo

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marla Jo....of course you can come. You will go home with lots of plants, ideas and new friends!

Everyone needs to vote on June 2 or the 9th.......

• dreamspirit
    17 years ago

Oh, thank you, thank you. I have only had a yard of my own for the past couple of years, and when I moved in, there was NO landscaping at all. All bare yard. So I have been trying to do what I can, but I am on a very tight budget at the moment and have been fortunate enough to receive a few plants from others. I am so excited to meet people who can give me some advice.
    Oh, and either day is good for me. :)

17 years ago

Either one is fine with me...I prefer the one most convenient for you Marcia, and secondly the date that will accommodate the most members wanting to come.

All things being equal, I'd prefer the June 2nd.

Sue...who will go with the flow

• wish2okc
    17 years ago

Marcia, I really hope to make it to the swap. I'm with Sue, June 2nd sounds good, but if more prefer the other date thats fine too.

• kygirl99
    17 years ago

this sounds interesting! is everyone invited? I just found this particular board (I'm usually over on the homebuilding board) and this sounds very promising. we have five acres we're trying to fill up!

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Kygirl99....yes...everyone is invited. Bring a friend or two who are also interested in gardening and swapping plants.
    So far the date looks like the 2nd.....only one person, so far can't make that date.
    I will be e-mailing everyone who attended the last swap with the info on the June 2 date...that is assuming I have everyone's e-maill addy...I think I have them all...LOL :)

• dreamspirit
    17 years ago

Marciagaye,
    Are you going to post it here, too?

17 years ago

Dream,

Welcome to Garden Web! I see you are a newbie here. Where are you located? You might want to add your state abbreviation behind your zone...especially if you plan to do trading on the Exchange boards. It is nice to know where something has been grown when trading.

I imagine she will in a bit, or when the time gets nearer.

Last year a lot of folks posted if they expected to come, once the date was set.

A few of us then went on the exchange page, and offered up things for trade that might be of special interest to others.
    That way one doesn't end up packing up one's whole garden in the hope that someone 'might' be interested in things.
    I prearranged several nice trades last year, and additionally came home with lots of other goodies folks brought for random trading/sharing, as I did.

Sue

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Does anyone have any objections at all to the 9th of June? Let me know so we can set a date and notify everyone. If we have it the 9th then Alan can come. He missed last year due to another commitment.

• wish2okc
    17 years ago

I'm fine with the 9th.

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

Maybe next year you could consider a Sunday afternoon...

Janet

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I had thought that a Saturday morning would be best...so not in interfere with people going to church and also a Saturday would give everyone all day Sunday to plant their new garden babies.

17 years ago

The 9th is fine with me...as is the 2nd.

Sue...who will ink in the date as soon a it is finalized.

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

O.K....INK June 2 in for the swap. Let me know if you are coming.....

• broodyjen
    17 years ago

I will be there!

17 years ago

I will be there too!

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Sue

• dreamspirit
    17 years ago

Good idea. I put "KY" in my zone. :)

The 2nd or the 9th is fine with me.

• wish2okc
    17 years ago

Sure planning on it!

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    17 years ago

How does 10:00 on the 2nd sound as far as a time.

17 years ago

Sounds perfect. How about then starting a new thread with the subject of posting line something like.

6-2-2007-Annual Spring Louisville Plant Swap

or

June 2nd- 2007 Annual Spring Louisville Swap

Sue...pumped!

• dreamspirit
    16 years ago

I have an off topic question.

Is there any way to save the forums you like to go to, besides saving each one in your favorite places?

And the clippings: I have to go to a forum to get to the clippings. It would be great if you could go to your own private account and go to what you saved.

16 years ago

Is there any way to save the forums you like to go to, besides saving each one in your favorite places?

I use Firefox for a browser, and really like it.

I have several folders in my 'Bookmarks.'

One folder is GW FAVS...another is GW mem (trade) pgs and GW misc(member search, search lists, member services)

There is also a toolbar folder, and I put some of the most frequently visited forums in that, along with the link to all of the GW forums, and a link to all of the Home Site forums. I also have my member page saved in that folder, so I can go to the tool bar, and click on my page from there.

And the clippings: I have to go to a forum to get to the clippings.
    There is a link on your member page for you to access your clippings. I have my member page saved to favorites, so I go to that, and then go to my clippings.

BTW...Welcome to Garden Web!

Where are you located? Might you make it to the Louisville Plant swap June 2nd?

Sue...resident busybody

• dreamspirit
    16 years ago

I plan on coming to the swap, though I have nothing to swap. But I was told I could come anyway. :)

Could someone explain to me how the swap works, especially if you have nothing to swap. I am trying to start flower gardens, and some things in the last couple of years just have not come up. I was so disappointed.

Oh, and I am on the border of Shivley and PRP.

• bccecil
    16 years ago

I would like to come also. Have lots of plants, if I can get the time to dig. Do they need to be in pots or can we bring bare roots? Brenda

• wish2okc
    16 years ago

Hi bccecil! I'm sure you are welcome to the swap. I can't answer your question because this will be my first swap also. But I'm sure someone else will come along shortly to answer your question.

• coventry6402
    16 years ago

When will the address of the Louisville Plant Swap be sent out?

• marciagaye
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bcceil...bring what you can. Most people do pot their plants because you don't want them out of the soil for long. If you have things that are O.K. with being bare rooted...then that is fine. Whatever works for you. This is very informal and fun. Besides plants we end end up swapping ideas, stories, etc.

• jules127
    16 years ago

I would like to attend!! I mostly have tropicals, but I would love to meet people with similar interests. What if you don't have any trades???? Most of my plants are inside!! My Elephant ears are 5 ft. tall!! My Yucca is 10 ft. The Yucca has outgrown my house!! I don't know what I am going to do!! LOL

• kilngod
    16 years ago

Hi Jules127,
    This thread is from last year -- goto the links below for the current 2008 swap.

June 7th - save the date:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ohioval/msg0423404910471.html?2

2008 Louisville Plant Swap:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ohioval/msg0308141315709.html?34

Pre-arranged Trades:
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ohioval/exch041022537459.html?7

Looking forward to seeing you there!
    --Tina / kilngod

Sponsored