Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wish2okc

Water in my planting hole!

wish2okc
17 years ago

I was digging a hole to plant a holly today and struck water at about 15 inches! At first it was only 2 - 3 inches deep. I called a nursery and they told me to go ahead & plant, that it had been unusually wet and hollies like water anyway. Went back outside to plant and found the water now 5 or so inches. I don't know what to do. I already planted one shrub about 5 feet away from there and it was wet, but no standing water. I live in Evansville and understand that we are about 30 inches above normal in the way of rainfall. The neighborhood drains into mine & my neighbors back yards. The hole I dug is located near the bottom of, but still on a slope. The holly is about 5 ft tall, ball & burlap. The rootball is 15 inches deep. What can I do other than dig another hole elsewhere?

Comments (4)

• lynbornman
    17 years ago

We had the same thing on our property when planting last spring. We are on a new build and do have some drainage issues because our builder is an idiot...different story. What we did was planted everything a little higher than normal and kind of mounded the plants. For example if the root ball was 12 inches, maybe you would normally plant a few inches above ground level for drainage, well we planted so that at least half was above ground level. I was worried plants would be too wet. I can tell you all the plants we did that too are VERY happy and already coming back with quite vigor. I'm sure you are fine even with the ones you already planted. It is crazy wet right now. Don't worry....we planted several bushes and trees in holes that were completely filled with water.

• wish2okc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the encouraging words. I continued the planting and planted high as you suggested. Sure hope it works as these were really large and expensive shrubs. Looks like I'll be planting everything high. Ours is a new home too, a spec house and I failed to realize the drainage problems until after the contract! When will I learn?

• bencjedi
    17 years ago

wishfulthinking, I did the same thing with my home in Winchester, KY. It was the unsold model home for my builder. Lowest part of the street behind houses with yards sloping right to mine. With any rain I get a marsh that takes days to drain downslope past the house and grass that has trouble taking root in the clay ground when it hardens. I just dug a 23' long bed along my privacy fence, removing 60 cubic feet of clay, then filling in with compost with clay integrated back in followed by a 6 to 8" heaping of mulch. I planted raspberries, blackberies, blueberries, grapes and lots of strawberries today. I put everything up very high. That'll give the roots at least 2-feet to reach down. As long as I did not create a bathtub with all the clay removal I think they should grow well. I hope the 52 cubic feet of compost and manure I added makes a good, but decent drying sponge. We'll see.

• wish2okc
    Original Author
    17 years ago

bencjedi, I admire you for being able to do all that digging! Did you do it by hand? Do you have a tiller? I think a tiller would just bounce along on top of my ground. It sounds like you did a great job of preparation and sure hope you get good results. You said that grass has trouble taking root in your clay. I have really thick turf, I guess because the yard was sodded not seeded. The hardest thing has been getting the sod off. After that, the digging isn't so awful, just very heavy clay. Good luck to you!

Sponsored