Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kygirl99

Kinda new to Kentucky, where to buy trees, plants, flowers?

kygirl99
17 years ago

Hi there...I moved back to Ky last year after spending 17 years in Arizona and then So. Calif. I was a teenager when I left town, so I never really gardened back in the 80's when I was still in Kentucky. I see that some of the places I used to go with my mom for trees in Louisville don't seem to exist anymore. Places like Frank's Nursery. And then we even used to buy rose trees at Paul's Fruit Market, but they don't seem to have any of those anymore. Or perhaps it's just not the season yet?

Where is the best place to go for trees? Fruit, flowering and shade? We bought a few at home depot and Lowe's but I wasn't impressed with the selection.

We have five acres to fill with gorgeous trees so I'd love to find a great source for wonderful trees, plants and flowers. We live outside of Jefferson County, east of Louisville, so I don't mind driving around a bit to find what I need.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

Wilson's in Frankfort has a pretty good selection. A friend of mine likes Springhouse Gardens in Nicholasville. A little pricey but you'll find unique items there. There's Deer Run Nursery out around Bagdad for trees. I'm sure they should have the natives and at fairly reasonable prices. There are also several Frank Otte's in Louisville.

If you're looking for daylilies, there's Quarles Dayliles at Waddy. There's also three major hybridizers in KY. Thoroughbred Daylilies in Lexington and Daylily World in Lawrenceburg. All carry about every color except for Stella.

Janet

• kygirl99
    Original Author
    17 years ago

oh, so there are stil frank otte's around! I didn't realize they were still in town. I think the one I used to go to on Hurstborne Lane near the liquor outlet isn't there anymore so I thought they all closed. I will check out wilson's in frankfort and probably deer run nursery as well.

We definitely want daylilies, too.

• kyplantjunkie
    17 years ago

kygirl- I live really close to you ( in Locust Creek- 1/4 mile inside the Jefferson County line). There is a Frank Otte on Shelbyville Rd in Middletown, across from Kroger. Walnut Grove Nursery is in Eastwood ( from Shelby county, coming West On Shelbyville Rd, turn left at the Eastwood fire station, and it's on your left. I buy most of my woody plants there- great quality, and the owners, Jerry and Lisa are so helpful. For unusual plants, check out Boone Gardiner (in Crestwood by Yew Dell Gardens--which itself is worth seeing. Yew Dell is having a plant sale the weekend of 4/21 and 4/22-I'll be volunteering in the gardens to help identify things for the visitors). Another specialty nursery is Wallisch- it's near the airport. Both of the latter 2 nurseries are pricy- don't buy your ordinary plants there- but if there's something exotic you want, and don't want to mail order- you can probably find it at these. Let me know if you need any other info. Happy Gardening!
    Robin

• kygirl99
    Original Author
    17 years ago

robin, thanks so much for all the fabulous info. all of those are definitely in my 'hood. I know what I'll be doing this coming weekend!

• kyplantjunkie
    17 years ago

You're very welcome- stay warm this weekend!
    Robin

• rick_40206
    17 years ago

I've had very good experience at The Plant Kingdom on Westport Road in St. Matthews. Thieneman's Herbs & Perennials on Blowing Tree Road in the Hurstbourne area is well worth a visit. Also, be sure to check the Native Plant Sales at Salato in Frankfort on April 28; and the Louisville Nature Center on May 12. Bernheim Forest will usually have a spring plant sale, too, but I haven't seen a date posted.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    17 years ago

Grant Line Nursery in New Albany IN (just across the river) makes for a nice weekend afternoon drive.

Bernheim Arboretum and Research Forest (referenced just above), is at Clermont KY, (just south of Louisville I think) and is having its sale June 9th, 9:00AM-1:00PM. They will have an on line listing as the date draws nearer. Their site is www.bernheim.org.

I have also heard nice things said of Hidden Hill Nursery and Sculpture Garden in Utica IN, so think that too would make a nice afternoon outing.

I have also read that there are nice planting at The Falls of the Ohio State Park (Southern IN across the river), though they don't sell there...yes, another nice weekend afternoon outing.

You might also check out other posts here for
    Riverside Plant and Herb Sale-hope to make this one on April 21st.
    Shelbyville KY Art and Garden Fair -- April 28th-I'm going to this for sure!
    Louisville Spring Plant Swap-Hope you can make it! June 2nd is the tentative date I believe...watch for updates

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Grant Line Nursery

• kygirl99
    Original Author
    17 years ago

oh my gosh. we went to wilson's today in frankfort. what an amazing place! I could easily spend a small fortune there. I ended up buying a coral bark japanese maple and a cherry tree and an assortment of specialty seed potatoes. That's all I need right now, but as soon as we're ready to landscape our new house in another few weeks, I'm going to be back there most definitely. thanks for the tip! I'm going to have to check out the other places, too. This is going to be a fun summer!

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

Funny, I was as Wilson's yesterday too. I was in a rush and didn't have too much time to look around. I took off from work to plant some garden and work in the daylily field.

Wilson's had a sedum or two that I might go back and take another look at though. Later in the year they'll mark down most of the perennials that they have left over and that's when I'll make my big strike.

Janet

• kygirl99
    Original Author
    17 years ago

janet, that is a coincidence that we were there on the same day. I was there around 11 a.m. During that brief rainstorm that drenched everything! I actually had a bit of a laugh because they had to call one guy from the woody and shrub section to help me and they radioed him and they were giggling over his responses and I was wondering, "who is this guy that they all seem to have a crush on?" then this cute guy walked up, a young patrick swayze look-a-like, and I thought, "ah, that's the one." Sure enough, he was the guy that the girls at the front counter were swooning over. I pointed it out to my husband and he got a kick out of it, too.

that's interesting about perennials getting marked down. when does that happen? We were happy with the 20% off on the japanese maple yesterday. the coral bark version is so pretty and it was just $80 with the 20% discount.

we saw their stash of blue spruce trees that made US swoon, but the price tag was a bit too steep at $299 per tree. They were nice and large, around 7 feet tall, but very price ouchie at $299. Is there anywhere else to get blue spruce that size at a lower price? we wanted to plant a few of them on a hillside on our five acres.

• kydaylilylady
    17 years ago

I'd get on the phone and start calling nurseries asking them if they have some and what their prices are. If they had some I'd go take a look. If not then you haven't wasted your gas. I know there's a couple nurseries in Shelby County that have pine trees and other hardwoods at very reasonable prices and there's even been some of those advertised in the Shelby paper for under $20 but don't know about blue spruce.

I was in Wilson's just before you. I work just down the road from there and was back before it started raining and in the garden digging daylilies for the garden fair by 3:00!

Janet

• kygirl99
    Original Author
    17 years ago

funny you mention the paper. I never read it, but husband bought a copy the other day and we saw an ad for trees for $14 each. very affordable. I figured I'd give them a call. I did call the nicholasville nursery and they are selling blue spruce for $295 each. so still too much. I'll check with others.

Sponsored