Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best grass for this area?

Posted by kygirl99 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 28, 07 at 13:59

We're about to power seed our five acres since our new house is almost finished being built. But what is the best type of grass to get? We recently moved from SoCal, where we automatically had to irrigate the lawn to get anything to grow. But now that we're on five acres in the country, there doesn't seem to be a point to irrigate the lawn. Especially since our front yard is a couple of acres in itself.

What type of grass is best to plant for a non-irrigated lawn? We're figuring that it might get a little brownish in spots by August, but we can live with that since we're deep in the countryside.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best grass for this area?

Best for lawns here is fescue. It's not as apt to do dormant in the hot summer as bluegrass will. I'm also sure there as many recommendations as there are seed sellers in KY.
I'd recommend seeding for lawns at a rate of about 300 pounds per acre for a good lawn. I know this sounds really high and if you were seeding pasture you wouldn't go that high but you want a lush lawn with no bare spots and fescue is a bunching grass not a tillering grass. If you seed it at a pasture rate and never let it go to seed it will stay sparsely populated and you'll be seeding again to fill in the holes. What you might consider is seeding heavily in a yard area around the house and seeding more sparsely further out where you don't see and walk over it every day.

There are some fine blade fescues out of the market but good ole KY 31 will do what you want in a sunny lawn.

Also, I'm not sure that I would want to power seed up around the house area. That puts the grass in rows doesn't it? How long do you want to look at little rows in your yard? Personally, I'd go with a broadcast hand seeder for the grass that I wanted up around the house. Then I'd cover the seed very lightly with straw.

Janet

o
RE: best grass for this area?

thanks, Janet. I'm not sure how the power seeding works. I'll look into it and find out before having them do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here