Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abbiejan

Garden Clubs in Columbus area?

abbiejan
17 years ago

Does anyone belong to a gardening group in central Ohio area?

I live in Clintonville, about 3 miles north of OSU.

If anyone knows of a fun, casual group, I'd like to learn more.

Thanks!

Comments (15)

• bakemom_gw
    17 years ago

Hey there! I'm in Upper Arlington and do not belong to a local group, but I know that Hilliard has a really nice club. I haven't explored my local club, but here on Garden Web, Storygardener and Princess Mimi host the greatest local plant swap ever. Check the Get-togethers for that.

I do belong to a cyber gardening group of sorts on the Winter Sowing Forum. It's a great casual place to learn to grow from seed outdoors with no lights or indoor equipment. I host the Newbie Seed Project each year and have a ton of seed if you need a newbie pack. Please feel free to email.

There are a ton of us in Ohio and there's a thread to that effect on WS.

You are not alone. Oh, and if you find winter sowing might be your thing, post over there and tell them Bakemom sent you. You will love the response.

• abbiejan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bakemom -
    Thanks. Yes, the Hilliard swap is great and I'm already putting my swap list together (wants/haves). And I have 2 door prizes for it.

I have no space in our tiny house (with 2 large dogs) for WS but when we move in a few yrs, I definitely want a bump-out garden window for just that purpose!

:)

• lynbornman
    17 years ago

Hi guys! I live in Powell and have been wondering the same thing. I recently moved here from Baltimore (although I'm from Ohio). We have a ton of land and are quite busy planting, growing and occasionally killing things. We don't have a lot of experience but LOVE gardening. I've heard of the Hilliard group but I have nothing to offer in terms of swap. I don't know of any other local groups. Do you guys know of any gardum forums that are more local than the 'entire ohio valley'. Would be nice to just talk to ohioans or even better columbusians.

OH...and GO BUCKS!!! FINAL FOUR BABY!!!

• abbiejan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Lyn -
    I don't know of a just-columbus forum -- would be nice, wouldn't it? We live in a small house in Clintonville now (north of OSU) but in 2 yrs we're moving to bigger place with bigger yard.

If I haven't found a group by then, I may start one. My Mom lives in Lewis Center, near Orange Rd. I'd like to move out that way and have at least an acre but DH wants to stay in Clintonville. Guess we'll see what happens...

(Y'know - just occurred to me - there may be a Yahoo Group for Cols. Gardeners but I'm not a big fan of Yahoo Groups - I like GardenWeb.)

happy spring! abbiejan

• amykaywat
    17 years ago

Another Columbus gardener here. I'm in Clinton Estates behind the Morse Rd. Toys R Us.

Would love to get together outside the plant swap. My local civic group is trying to get some community gardening going, but so far we have two people signed up... me and the person whose idea it was. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: me at livejournal

• bakemom_gw
    17 years ago

abbiejan, winter sowing is OUTDOORS, not indoors.
    (I originally thought the same thing) We plant seeds in containers in the winter and put them in the backyard for spring sprouting. I have 20 containers full of sprouts in my backyard right now.

I am not into indoor gardening either - no space.

lynnichols, sounds like winter sowing might be just right for you. We have a ton of Ohio/Columbus gardeners on there and we are all a friendly group.

I have a thread over there right now with a roll call of Ohio (BUCKEYE!!!!!) gardeners.

• strmywthr3
    17 years ago

there are master gardener groups in both delaware and franklin counties. I belong the union county group. There is also a powell and several different delaware county gardening clubs. I don't remember the names or contact info for the delaware clubs - just saw their booth at the delaware county master gardeners green thumbs event yesterday. that was lots of fun!
    Barbi

• storygardener
    17 years ago

Hi Abbiejan!

Columbus has many garden clubs! Check out this link below.

Come to the May Swap...you'll meet lots of gardeners - many of whom are on the Gardenweb, too.

Beverly - Storygardener

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Clubs in Columbus Area.

• abbiejan
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for the info!
    Going to check out that link that Beverly sent.

BakeMom - Thanks for educating me about OUTDOOR sowing. Doy!
    :-)

- abbiejan

• heygeno
    11 years ago

well........ did any of you guys ever find a garden club in the columbus area ?
    I live in Clintonville too...since this post is old --thought I'd throw it out there again !
    Geno

• Debsyorkiegarden
    11 years ago

Hello!
    I just joined the Gardenweb group! I live in Powell and I would love to find out about groups here in Powell or Delaware county! I love plants, flowers etc. Dont know if I have a green thumb, but willing to learn!! any info would be great!!

• reignsmom
    11 years ago

Hey there...semi-novice Gardner here in Plain City. I attempted winter sowing this year, although they got in in March instead of Jan. next year I will do better planning! I would also love to jump on the band wagon of looking for information. Possibly in Madison or Union county's Gardner club. :)

• zoeybug
    10 years ago

Bumping the old thread - I'd also like to join a garden club & am also in Clintonville. Did anyone find and join an existing one?

• heygeno
    10 years ago

westerville has an active garden group

• rgayle53
    8 years ago

When is the plant swap in Hillard?

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner