Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a walking path in the woods -any idea for a grass or ground cover

Posted by vanessasj (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 07 at 14:30

Hi,
I'm trying to make short paths in the woods in the back of my house. I'm looking for some sort of grass or graund cover where we can walk on like the grass of the lown.
Do you have any idea ? In many spots there is moss on the ground. I don't want to use gravel becouse to me take away the natural look and I don't want to use moulch becouse then you need to replace it every year.
Hope you can have some suggestion.
Thank you
Vanessa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a walking path in the woods -any idea for a grass or ground c

How about Mazus reptans? I think this link will take you to the Missouri Botanical Garden's website with info on this groundcover. It's really pretty. Hope this helps.
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/plant.asp?code=E190

o

I'm assuming you might want something native...Am I right?

The Mazus reptans, though nice (had never seen it b4), is native to the Himalayas.

My dogs just keep some beaten paths in the front yard woods close by, and in the big woods, deer and other creatures seem to have paths, though sometimes it is hard to tell. Maybe you too could make your own natural path, by just strolling the path frequently.

If you are indeed looking for something native, you might try asking at the Native Plant Forum, otherwise the Groundcover Forum, if you haven't been to them yet.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Mazus reptans

o

You could propagate more moss, and have a moss pathway. To do this, fill a blender about 1/3 of the way up with pieces of moss, add 3 cups buttermilk, and pour this mixture where you want the moss to grow. Keep the area moist, and by summer it will be growing. Oh yeah, before pouring the moss- spray round-up on any grass or weeds that are there. Don't spray it on the moss- someone told me once that round-up would kill weeds and not the moss, but I found that not to be true. I had a client in Atlanta, that over the course of a couple years, I propagated enough moss to fill in about 1/2 acre of pathways with moss. It was spectacular!

o

How often do you walk those paths in the woods? I walk on my sweet woodruff (galium odoratum) once every week or so when I go pick up the birdbath to clean it and replace it, and it doesn't seem to mind much. I do have relatively fine-textured wood mulch sprinkled around it, too.

o

I love plantjunkie's moss idea!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here