Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wakerry

Anything going in the ground yet?

wakerry
19 years ago

Hi all,

Anybody else getting your hands dirty yet? I just finished direct seeding some spinach, radishes, lettuce and beets. It has been so wet here in Northern Ky that this was the first time I was able to get in the garden and get a spot tilled. I don't plant these guys in rows, just dig up a 3' wide patch and scatter. I also planed a row of peas. I obtained the seeds from a great aunt, she has been growing them for some time. This year I am growing them to build up my seed supply.

Yesterday I rec'd two hazelnut trees (bareroot) from Burgess and an order of leek starts from Park in the mail. It looks like the trees were snatched from the ground and dropped in a bag, nothing around the roots except air. I put them in temporary homes (10" pots), I hope they make it. The order of leeks was for 60 plants. Well I've planted 144 in several float trays and have probably another 100 to go. No shortage of leeks this year. I am waiting on some everbearing strawberries and some more raspberries.

What is happening in your garden?

Comments (9)

• bolecke
    19 years ago

My leeks have been going since late January. Started them inside from seed and will transplant when the time is right. I'll probably start tomatoes and peppers Apr 1st. It is time for peas, so maybe I can get a few rows going tomorrow. As of today still too wet to till.

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    19 years ago

Nothing other than transplanting some perennials and shrubs/trees. Some of the soil is OK to work and others are still too wet. Working in an arboretum greenhouse complex all winter keeps me from getting too anxious to start things at home.

• hairmetal4ever
    19 years ago

I did plant a peach tree yesterday, bareroot, and some bearded irises.

The crocuses are S-L-O-O-O-O-W-L-Y coming around...if these temps would ever break 50 we might see some real spring blooms come around...this March has been chilly to say the least.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    19 years ago

I was lucky enough to have a neighbor with a tractor and tiller, till my veggie garden. I immediately planted 2 rows of snow peas...(should have been planted on St Patrick's Day the 17th they say). I hope to start a few tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers in a small coldframe soon.

Sue

• pkock
    19 years ago

DH tilled 1/2 of my garden today, before it started pouring rain. As soon as we get a decent day, I'm going to sow those peas. I was going to start some spring seedlings (cabbage, beets, etc.) in my vinyl-covered greenhouse, but it has a few holes I need to patch and I can't find the duct tape.

• granny57
    19 years ago

just as soon as the weather straightens out i have some seedlings to plant... but im going to start hardening them off by moving them outdoors to my covered patio. thats a great transition area.

• therealKYgirl
    19 years ago

I had DH till up the garden on Sun. and I put everything in the ground yesterday. Well except for my herb garden and the melon patch, which he's going to till both of those this coming weekend. And then it will be another week before I'll get those planted, due to 2 teeth being cut out. I doubt I'll feel like doing much of anything after the surgery. Anyway, I have had my flowers planted for a few weeks already.

My neighbor says it's too early, but if the flowers die, I'll just replant later on. One of the benfits of annuals.

• alison
    19 years ago

Other than some lilies and acidanthera, I havn't put anything in the ground yet. The bare root rose, blue mist shrub and delphs I ordered are in pots until I get the beds settled.

I don't plant out my WS seeedlings until at least the first set of true leaves, probably not till the end of the month. But I am starting to thin them in the containers.

• lakeerie4ever
    19 years ago

I have onions,garlic,radishes, broccoli,brussels sprouts,carrots and peas. Just wating for the warm weather for tomatoes peppers okra and watermelon

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor