Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynbornman

Rocks/boulders in Columbus area?

lynbornman
17 years ago

We have lots of projects already in mind for this spring and need to get a hold of some rocks and boulders. There is a quarry not too far in Delaware county where we can get some limestone it seems although we haven't been there yet. But we also want to buy some big boulder type rocks for hardscape in front beds. We haven't been in Columbus all that long and have no idea where to go. If anyone has any ideas at all would love to hear them! Thanks,Lyn

Comments (8)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    17 years ago

Mr. Mulch on Dublin-Granville Road (north side),Ohio Mulch on rt. 23 (far north), and Oberfield's on Alum Creek Drive (south side) are three places to buy stone and boulders. I tend to use Ohio Mulch for most of my supplies.

If you want smaller pieces such as for building a small wall (like those you see all over Dublin and Upper Arlington), you can sometimes get that free from construction sites -- they have to dispose of the rock they excavated to put in sewers, etc.

If you need soil to fill a large area or bed, I would recommend against the "soil plus" sold by a local company that advertises its "slinger" trucks. I unfortunately bought the stuff on their recommendation and received very poor quality: high sand content, lumps of clay, construction detritus, and very little organic content.

Welcome to comfortable Columbus! I hope that you will enjoy it here--I have!

• lynbornman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you so much for the response. That was very helpful. My husband and I are planning to go to probably all three of them to check things out. We moved here from Baltimore and I knew the rock/soil places so much better there although they were insanely expensive!

• bakemom_gw
    17 years ago

Lang Stone is downtown and has nice pavers etc. I don't know if they have boulders, but it's worth a phone call. I live in Arlington and bought my stuff there.

• lynbornman
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks bakemom!

• woods1020
    15 years ago

Call The Boulder Store at (614)849-8056. You choose the boulder and they will deliver and place it. They were the only company we could find and they actually had it out to us the next day.

• chittendenresearch
    15 years ago

Currently, 3/29/09, the old columbus coated fabrics demolition site off 11th ave has literally a mountain of bolder sized concrete chunks. anyone looking may be able to take some off their hands. we're planning to ask soon ourselves.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    14 years ago

Hi. When I lived in Powell (up until 2 years ago) there were always plenty of new-home construction sites to scout for rocks. I found so many pretty pink and green ones by the new high school in Dublin. I even found one shaped like Ohio and brought it here to Alabama with me, although it's just a plain gray rock. Don't know if they're still building off of that road or not by now...

My friend told me just today that nobody is living in my foreclosed house yet. If you'd like to give any of 'my' rocks a good new home, please do so: 2082 Smoky View Blvd., directly West off of Smoky Row Rd., just below the county like at the strip mall where Peppercini's Pizza is. Most of them were in the back, but the really big ones I couldn't cart any farther than the front yard. If I had known there are no rocks down here, I would have made a bigger effort to bring more. Have fun!

• patriciaavery
    14 years ago

I have some rocks and boulders to give away. I had an above ground pool and we demolished it, but the rocks and boulders are still here if anyone wants to pick them up, be my guest email me at mahma@wowway.com if interested, and you can make an appt. to pick up.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks