Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
henryr10

Anyone going to the Cincinnati Spring Flower Show?

henryr10
19 years ago

April 20-24 is the Spring Flower show here.

World known and World Class.

This ain't your Home and Garden Show folks.

If you haven't been it's well worth the trip.

http://www.cincyflowershow.com/

If anyone's interested I can post a link to the shots I took there last Spring.

There is also an African Violet Show, the Cincinnati Zoo's Spring flower festival and a plant round-up going the same weekend here.

Comments (8)

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    19 years ago

We went last year - first time in several years and first to the new location. It was OK, but I'm getting second thoughts about these events which one pays to spend money. So I'm not sure about this years event. We actually had a better time visiting all the different nurseries and Garden Centers on the way back to Dayton. That said - I am trying to get Cox Arboretum or the Five Rivers MetroParks System to enter an exhibit similar to what Boone County Arboretum had, but that's a busy time for us and is going to be a tough sell even though everyone thinks it's a great idea.

What about the Civic Center Plant Sale on - well I looks like I didn't enter in on my calendar. Is that worth the time to attend?

• gillespiegardens
    19 years ago

I am the sun perennial booth chair for the cincinnati civic garden center, and have been doing this for 7 years now. We have been working hard to make the plant sale bigger and better this year. We have alot more corporate funding from Toyota who sponsored us for the first time last year. They were very pleased with the outcome and they even sold two of the cars they had on display there that were full of flowers
    We have herbs, natives, shade perennials, sun perennials, hostas, grasses, waterplants, annuals, hanging baskets,
    and all kinds of good stuff.
    I invite everyone to come and to note that the free admission days are Saturday April 30 from 9-3 and Sunday May 1st from 11-3. Its a great day of fun and plants and you are helping to raise funds for the Civic Garden Center too which is non profit.
    By all means anyone going please stop by Sun Perennials and look me up!!

• gillespiegardens
    19 years ago

Actually the sale has been in existence for over 25 years!
    I have just been helping for 7. Every year it gets better and better. I was glad to be able to get my friend Granny57 to volunteer to help too. We all have fun as we get to pick our brains for our plant knowledge when helping the public make their choices. And I get to order the sun pernnials too so you KNOW I love doing that!! Spending someone elses money on plants? Heck Yes!

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    19 years ago

Thanks Sue for the info - and I did mark my calendar. We'll try and make it Saturday along with a tour of Spring Grove Cemetery

• gillespiegardens
    19 years ago

mrgpag:

I hope you can make it! i love meeting new gardening friends! Just ask for sue gillespie as we have a couple sue's working there if theres anything special you are looking for i can put it aside for you. are you going to the central ohio swap meet in northern columbus at the end of may? im going and it would be fun to see you there.

henyryr10: by all means id love to see your photos from the cinti flower show last year! i went last year and i loved it. it is getting very commercial though but i still have a great time and love running into all my gardening friends there too. please post a link. will you be going to the central ohio swap?

• mrgpag SW OH Z5/6
    19 years ago

Sue, the 21st is our annual pilgrimage to Dawes Arboretum Spring Sale, Wilsons Garden Center in Newark, Bakers Acres, and Oakland Park intown store - so I doubt it seriously if we can make that swap meet. How about Joan Days Spring event in Hamilton Memorial Day weekend? Do you ever get to that sale?

• Marisha
    19 years ago

Sue G:
    Henryr10 has a link on his member page that will show you the Cincy pics...My favorites are the window boxes and the old 30's gas stove all planted up!!
    henryr10:
    Your little garden is awesome! How do you keep all those containers watered? Love the "Brick" room, I want to build a brick terrace this summer. Did you lay them in sand or on the bare ground? Thanks for sharing the pics of everything!
    mrgpag:
    I was surprised to see Joan's event mentioned here, but why not! It rates right up there with the best!! Her garden is such an inspiration and the plants she offers are hard to find anywhere else.....I couldn't resist getting a Tasmanian Violet last year ; )

• gillespiegardens
    19 years ago

Henryr10:

Your show photos are wonderful. I visited the show last year and it was great to recall some of the things you photographed! Thanks for posting those.

Sue

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals