Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
climbing hydrangea

Posted by
j.sue 5b
(hamstewart@aol.com) on
Sun, Mar 26, 06 at 22:58

I have a climbing hydrangea planted next to a wooden pergola. Would it be best to move it to climb a giant oak tree.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: climbing hydrangea

I would say no... because I think that the climbing hydrangea would want more moisture to grow up big and tall than the area around the oak tree would give up. Not to mention the difficulty of trying to dig around the oak tree roots to get it in the ground.

Any particular reason why you want to move it?

o

hi blackswamp girl, thanks for answering but i already moved it. it's doing great so far. i heard it was just to robust for a pergola. i am giving lots of water. since i have new dawn roses on pergola also, thought it best

o
What a workout?

Ah... gotcha. I love those New Dawn roses, they're so beautiful.

Did you have trouble digging in the roots of that oak? I had one at the old house that was on a ridge near a swale (so, granted, the roots were shallower since the water had washed off a fair amount of dirt) but it gave me fits even trying to dig weeds out of it. Even cursing didn't help much! ;)

o

HI, Already had hosta bed there. I just booted them out. lol. I am hoping new dawn delivers for me. Should bloom this yr. I can't wait. We have so many trees, this garden has been a lot of work. I love it but my old bones dodn't

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here