Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlies_daughter

Reclaimation of old Flower Bed

charlies_daughter
16 years ago

I live on my Mom's homeplace, new home but about the same size as old house and same shape. My grandmother had flower beds all over the place and I have neglected them for a few years (well, add a few more years) due to being physically unable to maintain them. Now that I am doing better, I would like to "save" what I can.

I am having much difficulty with the bed that runs along the road. There are 3 or 4 plum trees, that continuously sprout new trees; wild honeysuckle is choking the white lilac, forsythia, old-fashioned lilac and a rose bush; and finally, the limestone that Grandma used to "mark" new starts have all sunk into the ground except for a few.

Can anyone tell me:

1.) How to clean out the plums without picking them all up or raking them.

2.) How to remove existing saplings safely. (without damaging other flowers and shrubs in the area)

3.) How to kill off the honeysuckle. (I have cut them off at what seems to be the "root" . . . but the little legs on them root back)

4.) An easy way to find all my limestone (LOL I know, use a shovel)

I know some of this may seem silly but I seriously would love to reclaim it to look like it did when I was little . . .

I have saved many things like a rose bush and some hosta plants that returned after being bull-dozed (hardy things!) but would love for the front bed to look nice.

Thanks for any help ya'll can give me . . .

Tracey

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz