Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
horsinaround_gw

Need help finding plants

horsinaround
15 years ago

Can anyone suggest a retailer/wholesaler/mail order company to obtain a good variety of plants? I have some sudden, unexpected time on my hands and would love to add some color to my property. I am seeking Lantana radiation, Calibrachoa, Thurburgia.... I did note an upcoming Ohio plant swap on this forum and will be contacting them to see if I am eligible to attend.

Of note, I have THE most fabulous eleven year old compost/manure pile one could imagine. If you are in the Jessamine County KY area and would like some, just send me a pm or respond to this posting.

Comments (5)

• lady_6
    15 years ago

Shooting Star Nursery is one that is located in Ky. Just do a google search for it. I haven't gotten anything from them as of yet,but intent to.

Hettie

• cattknap
    15 years ago

This is the most amazing nursery (a series of very large greenhouses and a big shop as well). Huge, huge selection of flowering perennials and annuals (many old fashioned varieties that you just don't see any place else) - healthy, perfect plants. It is my very favorite nursery.

Starview Greenhouse
    10082 E Highway 146
    la Grange, KY 40031

(502 -2229839)

• diggerb2
    14 years ago

the central ohio swap is a great one to go to if that is what you are talking about. it casts its net far and wide and usually has people from ohio, indiana, michigan, pennsylvania, West Virginia and Kentucky. so of course you'd be welcome to attend. people show up from further away. food is always good for the pot luck and the plant selection runs the gammet from a to z. bring a few plants from home that you want/need to share. take home many, many more. we've had as manny as 3000 plants and 250 people.

diggerb

• horsinaround
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Starview Greenhouse - well worth the trip! Thank you Cattknap. I hope to attend the plant swap 5/20. It sounds like so much fun. I am really looking forward to it. The most valuable garden item I possess is a huge 11 year old compost pile. The lower portion is actually black with the consistency of granules, when it is dry. If anyone is in the area - Jessamine County - email me and I can arrange for you to get some. We breed Thoroughbreds and they eat only the finest food and their bedding is wood shavings. Would it be acceptable to bring compost to the plant swap?

• leafy02
    14 years ago

I see this thread is a few weeks old, but another place to get plants is Michler's, in Lexington. Their plant list is on their website, so you can check it or call them before you drive down. I called them a few weeks ago about some things I wanted and they didn't have them at the nursery yet but brought them in from the farm for me.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting