Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fennelgrl

Carolina Jasmine Margarita

fennelgrl
19 years ago

I'm shopping on the Parks website and came across the Carolina Jasmine Margarita. It is supposedly hardy through zone 6. I'm in Cincinnati. Has anyone in the area successfully grown this vine?

Kasmira

Here is a link that might be useful: Parks Carolina Jasmine Margarita

Comments (15)

• fennelgrl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well...I went ahead and ordered it. I'll let everyone in the forum know how it goes.

• mtmama42
    19 years ago

I ordered it too - also from Parks. I also ordered some seeds which have arrived. I don't know when I'll get the jasmine. I am in zone 5/6 in southern West Virginia - high elevation. Although north of me, much of Ohio has milder weather. I'll try to remember to post again after I get it going.

Also, I will grow it in a container to cover the side of a shed on Mom's patio. She's trying to ignore the shed's existence. LOL I read that containing vines will cause the plants to use energy for flower production instead of root growth.

• fennelgrl
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Good luck! This is my first time ordering from Parks, and I am getting antsy awaiting my goodies. I've got the trellis in place. Just need the vine.

• katielovesdogs
    18 years ago

I planted it in the fall and it is thriving this spring. I live in old USDA zone 5 and the new USDA zone 6.

• allimom
    18 years ago

I'm in zone 8 (Seattle WA) and have ordered this from Parks also for my yard. Never having grown any type of jasmine before I'm hoping it will thrive in my area.

• fennelgrl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I ordered my jasmine in early April. I still haven't received it, so I checked my order on the Parks website. It isn't scheduled to ship until SEPTEMBER 16. Does anyone else think that's outrageous? I'm already pushing the zone restrictions (it's hardy only to zone 6). I don't think the plant is going to do well if I get it in the ground less than a month before our first frost.
    I emailed Parks and am waiting with bated breath for the response.

• thinkdirt
    18 years ago

fennelgrl, I think that is terrible, if you do get it, I think I would grow it in the house for th winter and tranplant it next spring.

I also have ordered from Parks for the tropicals, I do Jasimines and Brugmansia. When I ordered the Brugs from them last year they were ordered in February and I didn't get them until end of June even when I explained that I had a green house. They are very slow when it comes to the tropicals. They always seem to be on backorder or some other excuse. I have not had any bad experiences when ordering seed from them just the tropicals.

I do bring all my jasimines in the house for the winter. my zone is 6A.

JoAnn

• storygardener
    18 years ago

How's everyone's jasmines doing. I might have to order one of these!!

• fennelgrl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ha! I'm STILL waiting for it - and I ordered it on Apr 8.

• storygardener
    18 years ago

I've been thinking about your Carolina Jasmines all season! I will be anxious to hear how they all do over the winter. I just might have to order this one if you all have sucess over wintering this plant. It' so fragrant!!

Beverly

• fennelgrl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, mine FINALLY arrived in September. Here is a picture of one of them:

I am hoping and praying this wee one makes it through the winter.

• storygardener
    17 years ago

How did everyone's jasmines do the past couple of years. I am anxious to know. Did it overwinter?

• fennelgrl
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My vines survived their first winter in zone 6 (Cincinnati, OH) and are going into the second. No blooms the first season and only 3 feet or so of growth.

• gee_ess
    17 years ago

I found this thread today as I was researching vines for my backwall. I hope those of you who purchased this vine will let us know how it does this spring! I have a 100 ft long back wall stretching the length of my backyard that I desperately need to soften (new house, concrete and brick retaining wall - very ugly right now) I have hesitated on choosing a wallcover because up until I found out about the Margarita, all of my vine choices seemed limited and boring.
    One question - do you think I should plant this vine and train it (on wires I suppose) to grow up the wall OR plant it on top of the ground behind the wall and train to fall over it? The wall is 7 feet tall.

• joylily514_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

I ordered one this past spring from Park and it never arrived. I finally had to email them and it seems that they had problems with the plants. That's all I know. I cancelled the order, but then reordered it when I found that only Park has it. It's supposed to arrive in Sept. We'll see. When I do get one, I'll be sure to report how it does here in the Shenandoah Valley. We are zone 6.