Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help, info more...

Posted by nkrz EC OH (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 20, 08 at 8:49

I live in Southeast Ohio and I wanted to know if anyone else around here has this problem. My husband and I have noticed that when it rains, we get these dark greenish brown worms that just congregate to our concrete driveway, and even climb in under our garage door to get to our garage. The worst thing about these worms is the smell they give off. They are a small thin worm, but they are a really big pain when it rains. Any other time I never see them. I just wondered if anyone knows what these worms are called so I can know what to do with them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help, info more...

Hi nkrc,

I too have a bit of a worm problem at different times of the year. They get on my concrete carport. They do that when we have had much rain, and the soil is totally saturated. They are merely heading to higher ground to keep from drowning. There is really nothing that can be done, other than trying to provide some drainage, so they won't be forced to go to higher ground.

Mine end up dying on the carport, as I don't go out and get them and put them somewhere where they can survive. Possibly they are near death or dying by the time they find the higher ground. I have thought many times that I should gather them while they ar still alive, and put them in the garden spot, or a flower bed, but just have not made or taken the time to do that when it is raining out, or shortly after it quits. Subsequently, most die, dry out, stick to the concrete, and then have to be scraped up later. They won't just sweep off...sigh...

I've not noticed the color of mine particularly, or that they stink, but then mine are in the open air. Dead worms do stick though...remembering many a bait box with dead worms in it.

Sue

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here