Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
storygardener

OSU's Chadwick Arboretum Plant Sale - May 7

storygardener
19 years ago

Here's the website with the info...FYI.

I've never gone..but, people say it's really fun.

...Beverly

Here is a link that might be useful: Chadwick Arboretum's Sale...plant list, etc

Comments (14)

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

oops...they have their 2003 info at the website..

Here's the info from the sheet I have:

Chadwick Arboretum Plant Sale...

Trees, shrubs, perennials, annuals, hanging baskets, alpines, herbs, hostas, planted troughs, native plants, geraniums, unusual and dwarf conifers, garden books, tools & art, raffles, rummage sale, gifts for mother's day and more.

Friday, May 7 , 7am - 7pm
    Saturday May 8, 9am - 5pm

Tree and shrub auction at noon Saturday.

Just east of SR 315 on the OSU campus. Lane Avenue & Fred Taylor Drive. North of Dakan Hall

• evan_OH
    19 years ago

It's an excellent sale - lots of native plants, herbs. The veggies go quickly. I haven't gone to the auction before, but I have had friends say they have gotten incredible deals on trees....

• rusty_blackhaw
    19 years ago

I went last year.

I was there for the start of the sale (in intermittently pouring rain) but was surprised to find that many of the more desirable/unusual items were already gone (especially in woody plants).
    I suspect members get first crack at the best stuff before the sale starts.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Eric..I think you are on target with your statement about many of the more rare plants being gone right away. The members of Chadwick Arboretum have a pre-sale the night before it's open to the public. A woman from my garden club said many plants go at that time...but, there's still lots of plant material for the regular sale.

I may go this year and check it out.

..Beverly

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Is anyone planning on going next week? I may go on Friday - not sure.

...Beverly

• evan_OH
    19 years ago

I work down at OSU, so it makes it a bit easier, but I will be down there at 7 am...

I bought some spiderwort down there a couple years ago, and I need some more!

• alison
    19 years ago

God help me.

I'm going at 7 on Friday.

Bev?

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Alison...I am going to try and make it early, too. Maybe I'll see you there (and Evan, too).

Just might need to check it out.

...Beverly

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Did anyone go today??? I couldn't go because I had a very sick kitty and had to observe him ( and report back to the vet)

How was the selection...what were the prices like.

Allison, did you go? Evan?

...Beverly

• evan_OH
    19 years ago

I made it! Actually, I went twice - I was waiting in line when they opened this morning, and also went back in the afternoon...

I got some garden phlox "Nora Leigh", heliotrope, spiderwort, Victor Reiter cranesbill (looks lovely - purple/green leaves), pink turtlehead, forget-me-nots, babys breath, two tomato plants - a white tomato and a microtom tomato (its the one that only grows to be like 6 inches tall), tomatillo, and some herbs (flax, oregano, tarragon, lavender). I was a little disappointed at the herbal selection this year. Last year they had lots of different kinds of basil, while this year they just had the basics.

I went back on my lunch hour, and a lot of the stuff was gone already.

And I even stayed under my $50 limit! Most of the plants ranged from 4.50 to 8.00, and all the herbs were 2.50. I know I could probably find the herbs cheaper other places, but these looked really healthy.

They also had hypertuffa mixes for sale for $12, but I'm not sure I'd ever have the time to mix it, so I didn't buy any.

• rusty_blackhaw
    19 years ago

I found some good perennials, but much of the touted woody plant selection wasn't available, even though I had an arboretum membership and arrived early for the pre-sale.

Turns out the volunteers get to pick what they want at a pre-pre sale.

I would volunteer, but then I'd probably find out that arboretum board members can choose their favorites at a pre-pre-pre sale.

I give up.

Mail order is less hectic.

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

That's funny, Eric...a pre pre pre sale. But, it's probably true. I suppose they feel they have to "reward" the volunteers with first picks.

Glad you found some other goodies.

Evan...sounds like it was a successful outing for you, too.

I wish I could have made it over.

...Beverly

• ginam_oh
    19 years ago

Storygardener, is your kitty OK (I hope)?

• storygardener
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Gina...thanks for asking about the kitty. Bandit had a bout of pancreatitis. He was really sick. He spend three nights at the vets and is doing much, much better.

He's eating a little and much perkier. Even our "fur kids" make us worry when they are sick.

He should do well. He has to "avoid rich food". No more shrews for him, I guess. He's "grounded" to the house for a while.

thanks...Beverly

Sponsored
Custom Decks, Patios & Outdoor Enclosures Solutions in Loudoun County