Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chemocurl

April 2007-What's blooming at your house now?

Bulbs

Daffodils-the later ones are coming into it.

Hyacinth-Hanging on

Hyacinth-grape-some new ones planted last fall are just starting to bloom

Tulips-just starting

Candytuft

Celandine Poppy

Corydalis (wild)

Cutleaf Toothwort

Geranium (wild)

Hellebore

Johnny Jump Ups---smiling in so many places

Trillium Recurvatum

Violets-(2 different ones)yellow and violet

Forcythia- 2 different ones still blooming

Lilac-Old Fashioned and several new ones budded for bloom.

Spirea-2 different

Trees

Crabapple

Dogwood

Red Bud

What all might you have blooming? I'm looking for ideas here of things I might need (?).

Sue

Comments (8)

• broodyjen
    16 years ago

My hyacinths are just finishing, as is my forsythia. My rhododendron is still in full bloom, although they're starting to drop off now. I have some little white things that I got in a trade as Snowdrops, but I don't think they are.

My older tulips are in full bloom, and the ones I just planted last fall are getting ready to bloom. The daffs at the house are done, but there are still some at my office putting on a good show.

But my favorite thing blooming right now is the bleeding heart. I love it. I'm just worried that it won't survive this weekend's cold spell.

Jen

• diggerb2
    16 years ago

Hi we just got back from a week in DC, so it was surprise to see so much in bloom here in NE Ohio. My crocus are toast. Daffs have almost all popped open. Roses have started to sprout leaves, same with clematis and butteryfly bush. A few tulips have started to bloom this week. Forsythia looks great and my forest pansy red bud is jyst starting to open its flowers.

today i hung out the first loads of wash for the year and pruned roses as well as cleaned out leaves from flower bed.
    I truly wish oak leaves would fall in the fall and not sometime in january!!!

more will be in bloom next week.

I'll be bringing a honey dijon rose and a terra cotta rose to the central ohio swap in may-- since i didn't like them, they survived the winter.

diggerb

• kydaylilylady
    16 years ago

The late daffidols and hyacinths are doing their thing. The little blue star thingies, names slip my mind right now, they also come in pink, are going strong. Dogwoods, trillium, Virginia bluebells, lungwort,

Did I also mention chickweed, henbit, wild mustard, and bitter hairycress? Got plenty to trade!

Janet

• plantsnobin
    16 years ago

Crabapple, apple and peach trees, pulmonaria, primula, anemone nemerosa yellow and blue, corydalis solida epimedium grandiflorum, mertensia, rue anemone and false rue anemone, wisteria, veronica Georgia Blue and another one?, trillium flexipes and a couple of others, yellow trout lily, uvularia, disporum, double bloodroot, johnny jump ups, and the dogwoods and redbuds are blooming in the woods. Life is good.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Also have Bluebells,
    and Pink Flowering Almond Shrub.

It is interesting how different the blooming season is just an hour or 2 in any direction.

My rhododendron is still in full bloom,
    Jen, My buds don't even seem to be close to opening anytime soon. It is planted on the north side of the house. Where is yours planted?

wisteria
    Plantsnobin, Your wisteria is blooming? Mine is not near its bloom time here.

Sue

• tjsangel
    16 years ago

I have lots of bulbs blooming. Tulips, Daffodils, Hyacinth, Crocus (almost finished) Bergenia has buds on it. Lamium has a few little flowers, Ajuga is getting ready, Pachysandra and creeping Jenny. I just love this groundcover! I want to get at least 5 more this year.

Jen

• plantsnobin
    16 years ago

Sue-the wisteria I have blooming is one that I was trying to kill. I hacked it back as much as I could with my pruners, the rest of the trunk was too big. I'll need a small chainsaw for it. It is now blooming like it never has. Funny how plants seem to know when their end is near-they try to talk you out of it by blooming like crazy. I don't remember the name, it is one of the asian types. I also have 'Amethyst Falls', it blooms later and is a native type. It doesn't get quite as unruly as the others, but don't believe what some sellers say. The native wisterias will also travel a good distance.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I know the feeling about the wisteria.

I temporarily (years ago) planted one in a bed that has a power pole in it. It went to the top of the pole, and up the guy wire. I keep cutting it off as high as I can, but it persists. Someday I will totally rework that bed, and get it cut off at ground level, and dog the freshly cut stump with full strength roundup.

I've been hoping to get to it for a few years now.

I'd like to move a start of it, and try my hand at training it to be a small tree. I've seen it done, but I'm not sure if it has to be a certain variety to do that.

Sue

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz