Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenniew_gw

frost tonight

jenniew
20 years ago

If you have some tender plants up like I do, you might want to cover them tonight. We have a strong chance of frost.

This crazy weather. Hopefully, this will be the last-but zone 6 could have frost throughMay 15th.

Jenniew

Comments (12)

• Seeds_of_Grace
    20 years ago

What really constitutes tender? Help me I'm new.

• jenniew
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I have lilie bulbs, I would throw a sheet over them. I plan to cover those, my rose bushes that have leaves on them, my sedums, just about anything right now. Oh, and the growth on my hydrangeas.
    Jenniew

• alison
    20 years ago

I think most established plants can take a night of frost. I'm more worried about all my seedlings that have come up, and the annuals I planted out in the yard this weekend.

I'll bring in the citrus trees, the jasmine and the scented geraniums I put out this weekend. I'm just glad I didn't fall for the "oh-it's-summer-now" gambit and bring the hibiscus tree outside -- that sucker takes two people to carry down the steps these days! (And, like most of the rest of us, it's seems to have, um, put on some weight over the winter!)

• MeMyselfAndI
    20 years ago

Ugh! Who can believe this weather?! Bright side - I can't wait to see what's on clearance tomorrow!

My Mom commented several years ago that a light frost is usually not a problem for most 'annuals' unless the sunshine hits them before they thaw out. The more I monitor things, the more I tend to think she might be onto something...

• storygardener
    20 years ago

I am throwing some towels on my cosmos that's coming up. Otherwise, I think the perennials should be fine for one night. You might want to pick some of your tulips or daffs - there's a chance they could have their flowers nipped by the cold.

A gent on the radio (a plant person) said that you can also spray your plants with the hose in the morning of a frost and that will help tender plants survive the cold.

Hope everyone fairs well.

...Beverly

• storygardener
    20 years ago

Yes...we got the heavy frost last night. My tulips are really drooping. I covered the cosmos seedlings - they should be OK.

How did you all do?

..Beverly

• jeanne
    20 years ago

The only thing that really got bothered was the long stemed tulips, and I'll guess they are recovered by this afternoon. I completely forgot to bring my scented geraniums in and they did fine!

• alison
    20 years ago

Everybody looks pretty happy. I forgot to cover anything, and didn't bring in the tenders, but nothing looked sad this morning. (In fact, I think there's a whole new tuft of flowers on the jasmine this morning!)

• jenniew
    Original Author
    20 years ago

If I hadn't covered my stuff, it would be gone. We had 24. That is a hard frost.

• storygardener
    20 years ago

Upon looking at things this afternoon, I noticed that my tassell ferns and the new growth on some of my Japanese Painted ferns were mushy, blackish and look bad. Who knew?? - I've grown those ferns for years and didn't ever notice they were springtime frost wimps. Oh well. I know they'll come back fine in a few weeks.

...Beverly

• MeMyselfAndI
    20 years ago

Had no time to look for clearanced items today. No major casualties here. I noticed some damage on some rose foliage, and some of the stalks of iris blooms are horizontal. Chrysanthemums were a bit crispy around the edges.

• PrairieLady
    20 years ago

I almost cried! I looked around after getting home from work. A little damage on the rose foliage and mums, no big deal. But I've got a 7 year old wisteria that has never bloomed until this year. It had 38 blooms this year and when I looked up, they were all fried! I'll be sure to cover it next year!

Sponsored