Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolet_gw

Transplanting Older Juniper bushes

carolet
16 years ago

Hello friends in the garden. It's snowing here right now. However I wonder if I could transplant a sea green juniper bush today. I have a seven year old juniper that needs to be moved. Behind the house I have an unsightly electrical box at the end of the yard that needs to be hidden.

My questions is:

1. Can I move a seven year old Sea Green Juniper bush by myself without killing it?

And

2. Can I move it today, after the weather has been 83 degrees (that was Monday) Now it's below freezing and will remain so till next Wednesday?

I'm concerned that the warmth of the last several days has started the spring growth and now that it is snowing maybe it will go into shock if I really can dislodge it from the soil and replant it in front of the cable and electrical boxes. Is this even a factor?

I'm leaving for vacation next Tuesday and I was hoping to get it done before I go.

Any suggestions?

Comments (4)

• lynbornman
    16 years ago

I don't actually know the correct answer, but I'd say go for it. It certainly sounds like something my husband and I would do. We move so much of our garden around and all year long. So far we haven't lost anything. I do find it hard to believe you will be able to move it yourself. It might have some decent roots that you'll have to cut and the plant itself could be pretty heavy. But I suppose you know whether or not you can move it. How big is it?

• carolet
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for responding! My juniper is about five feet tall and 4 feet wide. I have pruned it quite a bit to keep it confined in the spot it currently resides so I bet those root are enormous; But hey I've been known to bite off more than I can chew. Then my husband will reluctantly jump in and assist in the extraction. Once a pregnant neighbor came to my rescue as I attempted to move a six foot spruce, but that's a different story. I wonder if I end up cutting off some of the juniper's roots system if it will just die? As you can see I'm still in the undecided stage. I hate to give up such a nice size screen that will give me instant coverage. But if I go through all the work will it die anyway?

• lynbornman
    16 years ago

I think Juniper is alot tougher than that. You can beat the crap out of it and it will be fine. We had some Juniper that was at least 10 years old at our previous house and we were anything but kind to it and it was fine. We've since had one that is about 5 years old. We bought it in Baltimore for our first house, moved it twice while there, dug it up and moved it to ohio (took at least 2 weeks before we even got it back in the ground) and since in Ohio we have moved it yet again. The thing is resilient and quite happy. I checked not too long ago and he has sent out quite a bit of roots. Get the biggest root ball you can. Sounds like yours is going to be very heavy. You also sound like me. I have big ideas and quickly I am over my head and getting rescued by my poor husband.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

I say go for it...just keep it watered well once it is moved.

Since I live alone, and do almost everything by myself, I have found a log chain, and a vehicle will quickly pull most things out of the ground. I recently got a handy little root saw, which is a great help too.

Keep us posted.

We bought it in Baltimore for our first house, moved it twice while there, dug it up and moved it to ohio (took at least 2 weeks before we even got it back in the ground) and since in Ohio we have moved it yet again.
    Wow, they are resilient!

Sue

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm