Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
good resources on 'native' plants

Posted by sudimari z5 IN (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 3, 05 at 11:24

Okay, I'm a newbie to gardening. Having lived my adult life in apartments, and spending my childhood so allergic I was stuck inside most all spring, summer and fall, what I've done has been poor attempts at container gardening. Pretty depressing since I always seem to kill of 90% of my indoor plants through the winter.

This year I am doing actual in ground planting. Theme is fairy garden. Smallish area with a lot of birdfeeders (buying a GOOD hummingbird feeder this week) and feeding squirrels, chipmunks, etc.

So far doing moon flowers & morning glories along fence lines. Going to seed for columbine along wall under window. Looking for native plants that will survive the hot, humid, dry summer here as well as the likely over-rain in May (I am in Indianapolis so of course it rains like crazy in May), etc. Something to border the patio, plant around a smallish birdbath, and in amongst the columbine since they won't bloom this year.

Received some great suggestions in the new gardener forum...but could use a little more information on what will best tolerate the conditions and poor soil here. I'd say its clay type soil...most of year appears light dry and very hard. Amazingly enough as I started digging into it and turning it this spring I found tons of earthworms. Some of that may be because I keep dumping potting soil from dead houseplants out around the areas I was digging...I generally use miracle gro potting soil...so it has received some help from that.

Thanks for any resources you can point me to. I can try to pick up books at the library if you have good suggestions.

Suz

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: good resources on 'native' plants

The Library is a great source. Also check one of your state's University's web site your local Extension office and try to find if you have a Master Gardener in your area. There's a Master Gardener forum here. I'm not sure if they'd answer a specific question about plants but they may be able to tell you who in your area can.
If you improve your soil with compost or just plain leaves, you will have a better chance of growing anything you choose. Wormies love leaves.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here