Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucky_p

Cooking with Cicadas

lucky_p
19 years ago

Folks,

I haven't yet seen the persimmon article referenced below, but thought this might be of interest to some of y'all:

"As Jerry Lehman mentioned in his American Persimmon Interest Group Article(Pomona, Spring '04) some Native American diet items have gone unappreciated over the years. However uninformed this information may seem, there is an element of fact in it.

Being that this is a target year for the emergence of tenerals from all those grubs which have been gnawing our delicate feeder roots for almost two decades, there is a chance for revenge and also to revive a favored fare of

this Land's former inhabitants.

They are surprisingly delicious and in some parts of the Country there will be plenty of them to sample if you are so inclined. Try 'em. You'll probably like 'em. The females are best. The listed site has several recipes. I'd advise one to stay away from the saturated fat in the chocolate covered ones. Leave a few to serenade me with their "July Fly Overture" on a hot summer afternoon while I sip my Mint Julep.

Doc L

Zone 7/8 (SC-whar we don't know nothin' 'bout no 'simmon puddin' but the 'possums are good 'n fat"

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking with Cicadas

Comment (1)

Sponsored