Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for School Playground

Posted by wackypack Columbus, OH (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 11:49

I am a teacher at a small independent school in Columbus, and we have received a small grant for playground beautification. My students have been working on this project, researching and planning some great ideas for natural play and learning spaces and we would like to do as much as we can with the funding we have. Do any of you know any resources in Central Ohio for free or discounted plants/cutting/seeds or have any other ideas on ways to add natural elements on a budget?

Here is a link that might be useful: GreenColumbus Earth Day Project

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for School Playground

I'm sad that no one ever responded to this. I might be too late. I would definitely check with the OSU extension in your county. They can usually point you in the right direction for things like plant swaps. I would like to think that other Ohioans would happily donate things to the kids without asking anything in exchange. Or the kids could volunteer to do some yard work for people in exchange for plants.
My other suggestion is to call around to local nurseries. They often have things they can divide and part with. They will be more inclined to do so for a good cause.
Good luck!

o
RE: Ideas for School Playground

If you're willing to drive a couple of hours, I have more irises than you can shake a stick at that I'm willing to give you. It'll be time to divide them pretty soon. The only other things I have in abundance are weeds, but I'll keep those for myself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here