Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfaerie

Franklin Park/German Village Garden Tour/Ohio's Garden Path

gardenfaerie
17 years ago

Hello! A gardening friend and I will be visiting Columbus on June 23-24. We'll be spending part of the time poring over historic plant catalogs at the Ohio Historical Center archives, but we're also planning to visit the places I'll list below.

1) We would love to meet with a few local gardeners who are available to visit these places:

- The exhibit "Ohio's Garden Path" about the history of gardening in Ohio at the Ohio Historical Center, late afternoon (3:00ish) on Saturday, June 23.

- German Village Haus & Garten Tour, Sunday morning, June 24 at 9:00.

- Frankling Park Conservatory, Sunday early afternoon after tour above.

If you'd like to meet up at any of these places, email me off list.

2) If you can recommend a nice, reasonably-priced place to stay within 20 minutes of Columbus, that would be appreciated, too!

Thanks! Monica in Ann Arbor (but I'm green, not blue ;-)

Comments (8)

• alison
    17 years ago

I'd love to meet up with you! I've sent you a message.

• alison
    16 years ago

*bump*

• gardenfaerie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Alison,

Sorry, I don't know what "bump" means. I replied to the email you sent the same day I got it, to the address you specified.

?? Monica

• alison
    16 years ago

I was just bumping it up to the top, so more people would see it!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    16 years ago

Monica, I think you will have a great time! I will be working that weekend, so not able to join you, but hopefully someone else will. Even though you are from that place up north!

As for a place to stay, we are lucky in that there are many nice hotels in the area. My parents like to stay at the Country Inn North right off I-71(it is close to my home)--they say it is always clean, quiet and comfortable, although the immediate neighborhood looks like it is on a downslide; I would feel safe there.

I like to use Tripadvisor.com when searching for hotels because it has comments by other travelers. Then I go to Hotwire.com to get a good price! You might want to focus your search in the Worthington(Crosswoods/ Hutchinson Ave.)/ Polaris (north outerbelt) areas as there are many nice places there in good areas with easy access (10-15 minutes) to the sites you want to visit. I think that there are places close to the convention center/downtown also reasonable, nice, and close to the short north "arts & dining" district.

Have fun--raee

• dirtgirldiana
    16 years ago

Monica,
    I'm not sure if we can say were we work..but I work at The Ohio Historical Society. Sorry I won't get to meet you. I'm not in on Saturday's.
    I'm sure my co-workers in the library will assist you in your search for historic garden catalogs.
    If you haven't visisted OHS web site. It is http://www.ohiohistory.org
    You should be able to do some search the collections for garden catalogs.
    I hope you have a great time.
    Diana

• gardenfaerie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Diana,

Thanks for writing. I searched the online catalog and have a printout of the catalogs I want to see. I also emailed ahead to ask for any archive policies, etc.

Yep, I'm German. We're more prepared than Boy Scouts! ;-)

Monica

• gardenfaerie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi raee,

I've booked at a little-known B&B, Schopf House. Have you heard of it?

Not only am I from "that place up north," I work for "that University up north." ;-) But don't worry, as a master gardener, I'm definitely GREEN (MSU), not blue (U-M). And (blasphemy!) I'm not at all enthused about football.)

But I am excited about my trip to Columbus! It's all good!

Monica

Sponsored