Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new and looking

Posted by pouncersgirl Ohio (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 6, 06 at 13:35

Hello everyone! I am new to the gardening experience but loving it so far. I am looking for flowers that have big beautiful blue and yellow blooms and bloom from spring to fall. I also have a hillside that has several natural springs in it and looking for a way to landscape it and not mow it- (We keep getting stuck!) It's rather steep. I really appreciate your help! I am feeling slightly overwhelmed at the internet search! I am from the Reily area, just outside Oxford and Hamilton. Thanks again!
Tami

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new and looking

Hi Tami,

welcome to the Garden Web. I am sure that you will come up with lots of ideas after you float around though some of the garden forums.

A couple that I really like and easy to grow are:
Coreopsis Sunshine
Different types of Malva
Coneflowers
Helianthus (Mexican Sunflower) these are more bush
type then a regular sunflower, I love them.

Hope this gives you a start.

JoAnn

o

Tami -
Welcome! You & I are very close neighbors. I am just west of Millville off of Reily-Millville Road!!!

Does the area you are looking to plant stay wet all year? Is it full sun or shade or?

Diane

o

JoAnn-
Thank you so much for your suggestions! I am looking them up asap!

Diane-
I actually live on Reily Millville - what a small world! The hillside I'm really stuck on stays wet all year. Full Sun. Just a lot of random natural springs. We just don't know what to do with it- we're not sure if there's anything to plant that can withstand the sogginess. We've toyed with the idea of using the springs someway- but no idea how to get started. Thanks for all your help!

-Tami

o

Welcome, Tami.

The only thing I can think of that might tolerate the conditions and have bright yellow blossoms most of the summer is Coreopsis Zagreb. It's fairly aggressive and will help hold your hillside in place. The individual blossoms are small, but the plant will be covered with them.

Most perennials don't bloom from spring till fall, but rather have one main blooming season, sometimes followed by sporadic rebloom.

Hardy geraniums -- perhaps Johnson's Blue? also come to mind for your circumstance. If you want a blue spring-bloomer that will form a mat, try the blue form of phlox subulata (I think that's the mat-forming variety.)

o

Ligularia would take those wet conditions, and I believe that they handle both sun and shade. They also spread, but if you have a large area to cover you might actually like that feature.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here