Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can we plant nectarines and apricots here and get fruit?

Posted by kygirl99 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 24, 07 at 15:13

I already planted a nectarine tree and wanted an apricot tree, too. I called the deer run nursery in bagdad and the guy who answered said he doesn't carry them because he never gets fruit from apricots or from nectarines. he said they always bloom too early and then the frost gets them.

is this true? I wasn't able to grow apricots in so. calif. because it was too warm in the winter without enough nights of cold temps. but nectarines did great there. what about here? should I pull up the one I planted? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can we plant nectarines and apricots here and get fruit?

Sorry I can't help you. Why don't you try this on the Fruit & Orchard forum. Bet you can get an answer there.

o

Hey, if you've already planted something why pull it out? You might be in a micro climate and it'll do fine.
Besides, we often loose peaches here too but that doesn't stop us from planting the trees and totally enjoying peaches the years we get them.

Janet

o

i would say yes you can grow both in kentucky. be sure you don't plant your trees in a frost pocket. there were apricot trees all around my appartment complex in Aurora, ILL-- west of chicago-- that often set fruit-- they were small but very tasty and made great jam. but i think they were planted for ornamental reasons.

like janet said, you get to enjoy fruit when the trees set fruit. but you still get flower displays if they don't.

you should try to buy from a mail-order source like starks.

diggerb

o

This is an old thread, but I'll post anyway. Yes you can grow apricots in Kentucky. I live in south central part of the state and my apricot tree is bending under a load of beautiful fruit this year. I do spray for insects.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here