Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's Lilac time again!

Posted by alison 5/OH (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 28, 09 at 17:03

I love this time of year! I owe the existance of these plants to our office manager, who loves lilacss. We at work bought these bushes for her and planted them outside the front window. The scent is incredible in the late afternoon, after they've been baking in the sun!

I've been threatening to shovel prune this Beauty of Moscow lilac for several years, as it's never really done much. But our office manager has always stayed my hand -- and this year I'm awfully glad!

Old reliable; our 9-10 year-old "Sensation" lilac:

And our reblooming Josee. The follow-up bloom has varied wildly from year to year, but it's never had so spectacular a spring bloom:

Sigh. I love lilacs...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's Lilac time again!

Me too!

~~Mimi

o

• Posted by raee zone 5-6 OH (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 29, 09 at 15:36

Great pics, Alison. I've been wondering what Josee would look like--and if it will really re-bloom.

So Beauty of Moscow is not the pale pink shown in catalogues? It looks more like a pinkish-lavender.

I've got a new deep purple (like Welch's grape juice) blooming heavily this year. It is lovely but doesn't have the scent of the old bushes that came with the house.
One of those older ones mostly died last year, but it had also put up a new trunk & that is blooming too.

o

I've wondered about that too; I think that lilac may have been mislabled.

Last summer I think we got 3-4 blooms on the Josee all summer, but most years it's been better than that. Nothing like the spring bloom, but worthwhile.

The lilac that haunts me grew outside the New Orleans Zoo. Deep purple, like yours, with a super sweet scent like bubble gum. Yum! Nobody seems to know what it was.

o

Love your pics Allison.

I collect lilacs, and most of the new ones just had small blooms that faded before I got pics.
I did however get a pic of this one named True Pink, and it is fragrant too.

Late evening pic. (pics are clickable)
Lilac True Pink

Here it almost seems to glow.
Lilac True Pink in road bed

Sue

o

we have a very old white lilac thats spread out a good bit. limbs have fallen and rerooted a bit over the years. all that white makes it look a little fun when we get the little tuff of purple to the one side and theres a pink one that just arches out from under the white

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here