Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Pussy willows speed cuttings

alison
13 years ago

I've been striking a lot of cuttings, lately, trying to build up some desireable houseplants for trading. Nothing fancy, just a cutting in a battle of water in a shaded window. The last bunch took just under a month to develop and healthy loooking network of fine roots.

My mother bought me a bunch of pussy willow branches back in early March, and I had to cut them to fit my vase, and I accidently left the trimmed end -- for a few weeks. (Yeah, I need to cleanup more.)

Striking up another set of cuttings 10 days ago, I vaguely recalled something I'd read years ago about willow cuttings spurring root development, so I stuck a 2" piece of dried pussy willow in each vase.

I happened to look at the cuttings carefully this morning, and -- whoa! Not only tons of roots, but big, thick, healthy looking roots. And in half the time.

Now, this wasn't scientific; it's warmer in the window now than it was in March, aand there's a tad more light. (I'm doing some sside-by-side now!) I'm not sure if the big fat roots will adapt better to soil than the fine hair-like ones. And unless you're growing Salix in your yard, pussy willow branches aren't always easy to come by.

But if you've got some, and take a lot of cuttings, you might want to try it and see if it speeds/improves your progress!

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz