Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loratw619

good yeilding tomato?

loratw619
14 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I have just moved back to Kentucky last year after 8 long years in Florida. It is SO good to be home in "real" dirt again!

I'm starting my second season of tomatoes, and I'd really appreciate your input on good varieties to grow for steady and heavy production.

Last year I got a late start and didn't get to do a lot of soil prep. I grew only heirloom plants....which tasted great but didn't give me that many tomatoes considering how much room the HUGE plants took up. For instance, pink brandywine was awesome to eat, but yeilded only TWO big tomatoes all season long!

This year I'm open to hybrids and the like because I'd like to have at least a few plants that will give me a steady supply of good tomatoes...as long as they taste better than the plastic ones you can buy at Kroger's anyway. :)

I have two raised beds already going with heirloom sprouts that I started from seed, and I'm hoping that helps the yields I get from them. I've also got a third raised bed I'm working on for my "production line." I tend to lean towards the tart strong taste of the black tomatoes, but I'm open to any and all suggestions y'all might have for ones that will produce a good crop.

The heirlooms I'm growing this year are:

Japanese Black Truffle

Tim's Black Ruffles

Ananas Noir

Brandywine (Sudduth's)

Brandywine (from Gurney's)

Kellogg's Breakfast

Hillbilly West Virginia

Old German

Pineapple

Any opinions or hints on those would be great too. I know I'm pushing the envelope on frost dates, but I figured it was worth a gamble. I'm just dying for a good tomato! But I've been away from home so long, I'm just not sure which ones will fair best here now, and I'd really like to get my hands on a dependable, good producer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and happy springtime to you all.

Lora

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths