Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
good yeilding tomato?

Posted by loratw619 Mt. Washington, KY (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 15, 10 at 18:59

Hello Everyone,

I have just moved back to Kentucky last year after 8 long years in Florida. It is SO good to be home in "real" dirt again!

I'm starting my second season of tomatoes, and I'd really appreciate your input on good varieties to grow for steady and heavy production.

Last year I got a late start and didn't get to do a lot of soil prep. I grew only heirloom plants....which tasted great but didn't give me that many tomatoes considering how much room the HUGE plants took up. For instance, pink brandywine was awesome to eat, but yeilded only TWO big tomatoes all season long!

This year I'm open to hybrids and the like because I'd like to have at least a few plants that will give me a steady supply of good tomatoes...as long as they taste better than the plastic ones you can buy at Kroger's anyway. :)

I have two raised beds already going with heirloom sprouts that I started from seed, and I'm hoping that helps the yields I get from them. I've also got a third raised bed I'm working on for my "production line." I tend to lean towards the tart strong taste of the black tomatoes, but I'm open to any and all suggestions y'all might have for ones that will produce a good crop.

The heirlooms I'm growing this year are:

Japanese Black Truffle
Tim's Black Ruffles
Ananas Noir
Brandywine (Sudduth's)
Brandywine (from Gurney's)
Kellogg's Breakfast
Hillbilly West Virginia
Old German
Pineapple

Any opinions or hints on those would be great too. I know I'm pushing the envelope on frost dates, but I figured it was worth a gamble. I'm just dying for a good tomato! But I've been away from home so long, I'm just not sure which ones will fair best here now, and I'd really like to get my hands on a dependable, good producer.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and happy springtime to you all.
Lora

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: good yeilding tomato?

I'm near Dayton. I have had good luck with both Black Prince and Black Krim (I like the blacks too). I have grown about 25 kinds of tomatoes and would be happy to trade seeds with you in the fall.

I am also partial to German Johnson Pink, it grew well for me.

This is my 2nd year growing in this area...

Kate

o

What about good-yielding, good-tasting tomatoes that I can grow in my upside-down buckets? Last year I grew bush varieties in the hanging buckets, and they did alright, but I was going to possibly try some larger types this year. Any suggestions?

o

Kate...that sounds great. I have quite a few seeds from last year that I'm probably not going to use. My email is Loratw619@aol.com. If you'd like to send me your address and the kinds you are looking for, I'll go ahead and send you some.

I grew Cherokee Purple, Black Krim, Paul Robeson and a couple of other blacks last year, and I probably have some of those around. For me the only one that really just knocked my socks off was Black Pineapple. That thing was the best tomato I had ever eaten in my life! And I've always been a tomato fool. LOL Even in poor soil, it was a keeper. I saved a few seeds from those plants just to see what they would do and so far, they've been some of the strongest seedlings this year too.

I have a packet of Black Pineapple (Ananas Noir) seeds from TomatoFest that I ordered just in case mine didn't sprout, so I can send you some of those too if you'd like to try it.

Liz...I've never grown tomatoes like that, but I've read you can put all kinds of toms in one. I have a friend in CA who grows determinates in hers. You might even look into a semi-determinate and see how that does for you. Maybe Lime Green Salad?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here