Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gfish49366

NE Ohio Nurseries

gfish49366
18 years ago

Hello - just moved to the Amherst area from Columbus and was wondering what nurseries people recommend in NE Ohio for trees, shrubs, perennials and roses? Thanks!

Comments (8)

• gdionelli
    18 years ago

I don't live in Ohio, but have surely enjoyed stopping at Graf Growers, just north of Akron off I77 on trips to Cleveland. But there must be nurseries even closer to you?
    Graf has a really nice selection of roses.

• gw:matt-grafter
    18 years ago

I have crazy plants mostly conifers an jap-maples an any thing else I can graft, mostly one or two gallons, also have about 140 varietys of hostas in pots 4" to one gallons pots.
    matt

• blackswamp_girl
    17 years ago

I admit that I haven't been there yet, but I'm rather intrigued by the website for Mulberry Creek Herb Farm in Huron--a shorter drive for you than me (I'm in Lakewood) but still a drive. Just google them to get the website... I'm not sure if I should/can list it on this site?

Gales Westlake (on Center Ridge) is a nice place if a bit pricey. Cahoon's Nursery on Detroit is about the only other one that I'm familiar with that is anywhere close to Amherst, unfortunately...

• lizql
    17 years ago

gfish,
    Check out Jamie's flea market. They used to have an indoor green house with lots of indoor and outdoor plants. Some rare as well. There is a garden center off RT 57 in Elyria that had many nice plants as well. Can't remember the name.

• diggerb2
    17 years ago

i was looking to see where you live, but duh there it is in your note, I'm in akron area
    we have donzells's very nice but standard south akron
    graf growers west akron
    becker's herb farm (greatowner/selection)
    south akron
    dayton nusery (rt 21 north in norton)different
    stuff lots of acid lovers- owner is big on
    heathers & heaths
    norton nursey
    suncrest gardens in hudson/stow
    hosta haven
    amber tree & gardens
    pettiti's (strongsville is a must visit)

If you shoot up 271 into lake & astabula counties
    there a all sorts of places- that used to be a
    big nursery area for the USA.

It would be fun to map a road trip, and do a treasure hunt for the weekend. any one interested??

• gfish49366
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone for all of the info. I have also heard there are a lot of great nurseries in Lake and Ashtabula counties. Will have to take a drive up their and find them.

• blackswamp_girl
    17 years ago

Bluestone Perennials is over in Madison, if you're willing to go out east Lake and Ashtabula way. They have a big plant sale (well, they sell little plants, but the sale is supposedly big) once a year. I think it's in June, but you'll want to check their website to be sure.

Heck, maybe we should get a field trip going out there for that weekend... ;)

• diggerb2
    17 years ago

a field trip to blue stone would be fun-- lets organize.
    diggerb

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner