Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Favorite Long Blooming Perennial

Posted by irene_in_grow IN (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 23, 07 at 22:57

Do you have a favorite perennial that blooms all summer long into the fall? I and a few friends would like to plant some different ones that will come back next year. It gets very expensive buying annuals every year.
One of my favorites is Blue Scabiosa(pincushion)
What's yours?
Irene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Favorite Long Blooming Perennial

Mine is Walker's Low catmint. Gorgeous first bloom that makes people stop to look and then continues in a more subdued manner until frost.

o

Mine are Coreopsis 'Moonbeam', serbian bellflower, 'May night' Salvia-if cut back after first bloom will rebloom-and Lamium. Lots of the perennial geranium family are beautiful and bloom like crazy.

Jen

o

I guess this is a shrub, but Annabelle hydrangeas keep their blooms all summer and you can dry them for arrangements after that.

o

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll pass them along to my friends,and maybe we will try some.
Irene

o

Should mention rudbeckias & coneflowers too.

o

I second the rubeckias and coneflowers (my favorite two) also coreopsis is such a fantastic performer no matter how you treat it. I've planted several new ones this year but I cannot attest to how they perform yet...hopefully I'll be pleased.

o

knockout rose grows just great for me, flowers all summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here