Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Cicada News Thread

Posted by pkock z6 OH (My Page) on
Sun, May 9, 04 at 1:14

I offer this thread headline as a place to report your cicada invasion news. Have you seen 'em yet? How many? Are you deaf now? The news guys said today would be the day. Where are they?

_ _ _ _ _

As of 5/8, we saw none either in Mid-eastern Hamilton Co. or South-western Butler. Spent a lovely day in a park, kids sloshing in a creek, no cicadas to be found.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Cicada News Thread

Be patient,they'll be invading soon.A good soaking rain will help them emerge from their underground abode.

o

I saw some cicada's last night in Louisville, crawling around on the sidewalks....(Sat. night)

o

None for me yet (White oak area). They are predicting the predicted rains for late this week will inspire them to emerge.

o

Didn't see any in Cincy this weekend. But it's funny; every time a bee flew by, I saw everyone in my family suddenly focusing on it....

My sister bought some cicado chocolate/soap molds and we're trying to decide what to make first. Some of her ideas were lime jello cicada jigglers, on a lettuce leaf; a liverwurst pate cicada, posed on a background of shredded jerky, like leaf mold; or white chocolate cicadas with cinnamon red hots for eyes (these are the newly molted ones, of course!)

Any other suggestions?

o

Here in Columbus, i saw 3 mysterious holes in the bare dirt, looked as if someone just poked a stick in the ground, hummmm.. then heard later on the news that it was time for the locust. mystery solved, i think.

o

none yet here in the south of Dayton, but the ground's full of them. Maybe if we get rain tonight-5/12-they'll emerge.

o

They've been talking about the coming of the cicadas on the new like crazy this week. One newcaster was halarious talking about taking the new crew to the emgergence for an exclusive. Doesn't translate here as funny as it was on the news.

Thanks for the update. I know we'll know when they are here by the noise!

BTW...Alison..I think the cicada molds are so funny. You making some cicada-like goodies for the swap???

...Beverly

o

None here in Amelia yet either. Although, I did see on the news tonight that there a few in Mt Auburn where the news stations have their offices. Of course, we haven't had a good rain yet to loosen up the soil. Hopefully my yard will not have a full blown invasion as the development is not old enough. Something about the ground being excavated between emergences will keep them somewhat in check. Of course, most everything around us is old enough to have been through the 1987 emergence.

PAM

o

I noticed a frenzy of Bluejay browsing this afternoon - fly to the ground, poke around, and fly off with something in their beak. I think it's close to happening here

o

Arghh!

They've apparently emerged in Cincy this morning!

(Please, please, please don't arrive in Columbus for a few more days so I can go to the swap, plant my goodies and hibernate for the next few weeks!)

I've haven't gotten my mold yet, Bev -- or I would be bringing some to the swap. Remind me to tell you about the cicada bisque!

o

Not full force yet... or not in the White Oak area. But they have started in the area that have been hit by the recent rain

o

They are here in Louisville as of this morning! My area is free of them, but a good friend in Crescent Hill says his yard and bushes are covered. Still quiet though...how soon do they start singing?

Robin2

o

Still haven't seen any - West Chester area. Maybe the rain tonight will bring 'em out.

I've planted some new trees last fall and this spring, but didn't put up netting. I'm hoping for the best!

o

I have seen ones still in the brown shell and empty brown shells and lots of holes in the ground but none of them with wings yet.

o

There are a multitude of cicada in my yard in the Highlands, Louisville KY. They cover my deck railings, attached to the iris and even to the tires on the car! The sound is high piched but not too loud YET! Amazingly people in neigborhoods nearby have reported very few, guess we are the lucky ones! lol

o

Still haven't noticed any here in Amelia area. Of course, that could be related to age of my development. Pretty sure we'll be invaded once they all emerge. At least I won't have to deal with all the mud tubes, etc. Of course the local news media is going to town with this. I've posted a link below so those interested can take a look. Be sure to check out the Borgman postcard link (under the first picture on the website) and the photo gallery about halfway down the page. They're even having a photo contest for those who took pictures of the 1987 emergence. I don't remember this kind of hype and media coverage in 1987 & Borgman's cartoon hits the nail on the head!

***** PAM *****

Here is a link that might be useful: Cicada Watch 2004 - Cincinnati

o

Still nothing in my corner of cincinnati. I find the nymphs when i dig to plant something but no adults or shells yet.

o

Did the Cinci area get the all day rainfall on Saturday like the Columbus area did? I figure with the big rain we had last weekend...they should be emerging here soon.

...Beverly

o

They're here. I'm about 9 miles south of Cincinnati.We got some pictures of them the other night, take a look.

Here is a link that might be useful: cicadas

o

OK.These guys are everywhere here in louisville, in my neighborhood at least.I was out working on my rose garden and they were flying everywhere. Have a whole bunch of "injured" cicadas laying on my deck, they keep flying into my patio doors!! The birds are having a great time catching them at least!

o

Nice Picture Tbyrd. I'm hoping to get some of my own when thye finally come out in my neighborhood

o

They are everywhere this morning in Mt. Healthy! Yesterday I only say a few on some trees. Today, lots of shells, and lots of bugs! The nice little down pour we had yesterday did it for us. Lovely.

o

The first in my neighborhood came out yesterday. (White Oak area of Cincinnati) Pretty cool watching these critters come out of their shell. I've got some nice pictures from head out of the shell to full wing expension. (Yawn... I stayed up too late last night) That was about 1.5 to 2 hours. I hope to follow another from beginning to end. This time a little higher off the ground. The one I got was on a daylily leaf. Lots of squatting. :)

Now... i need to figure out how to post pics

o

We heard a few yesterday in my area of Northern KY (near Florence), and few more singing in the trees today. We also started seeing the shells starting to cover small trees in patches along the edge of the woods. Many of the new subdivisions are devoid for the time being. I'm sure they'll migrate into "uninfested areas" though.

o

the hatch is very scattered here in the south of Dayton. The old woods at the west side of Cox Arboretum experienced a significant hatch, but the main part of the arboretum experienced little. I live about 3 miles east and have seen none

o

Last night was it for me .... they are everywhere.

I am just SW of Dayton in Germantown.

o

Still haven't seen any in downtown Columbus -- anyone else?

o

None here in Hilliard (northwest Columbus)- so far....

..Beverly

o

Nada in Upper Arlington (also northwest Columbus). My son asked me about that yesterday. Haven't heard anything about it from friends in outlying areas either.

Karen

o

I got an email from a friend who said that a few cicada were spotted in Dublin, Oh (northwest Columbus) - not many though.

...Beverly

o

I found this bit of info last night from a friend.... like hunting for 4 leaf clovers? Try looking for blue eyed cicadas! They compared finding them to finding a 4 leaf clover. Has anyone heard of that? Has anyone seen one???

o

I've only seen the red eyed versions so far

o

WOW.. I finally heard them here in Louisville. They were loud enough for me to here them while driving down the highway WITH my radio on! Though there hasn't been a single one out at my house.. probably due to the lack of trees

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gardens

o

Some friends from Mt. Sterling said there is a small amount of Cicada there now.

...Beverly

o

Yesterday we visited my mom, who lives in Deer Park. The kids were pretty excited to find cicadas in her backyard, until they realized *how many* were there! They'd never seen so many insect bodies in one place. It was cool when they spotted them clinging to the wooden swingset, but when they saw the pile underneath a silver maple...and when I held one by the wings in front of my 6 yo son...they were ready to go inside!

In the course of the day's errands, we drove through Fairfield and Hamilton. We heard pockets of them in Fairfield Township, but once across Liberty-Fairfield road, none. Interesting. Our own subdivision was built in 1978, and has plenty of trees, so you'd think we would have some, but no. I'm not complaining. :-)

o

The cicadas have just started to come out in my neighborhood - Loveland. Not too many yet, and I don't expect to be overrun. The neighbors say there aren't as many here as the west side of Cincinati.

o

Lots of them in Dublin, and man can they be loud. People over in Powell are reporting not seeing any yet.

o

I think my back yard in NW DC is ground zero. Every plant is covered with them. Their exoskeletons are starting to pile up. I saw a couple coming out of their exoskeletons last night - spooky. They are deafening in the afternoon. Literally. I came in from doing some yard work over the weekend and my ears were ringing.

o

EEEK! I haven't seen any yet. I don't know if I'm relieved or disappointed.

o

Yikes...it's kind of creepy. I still haven't seen any "in person" yet.

Someone in the tomatoe forum said they are eating the tomato plants. Boo-hoo.

...Beverly

o

Um... might want to read that tomato forum 'report' again. It is a site making fun of the cicada news reports and such. Very tounge-in-cheek.

o

Moosedog...you're so right! I just saw the title of the thread late last night and didn't read it. Funny...I take it back - no tomato eating cidadas!!!

o

I haven't seen any yet either, and I am actually a little disappointed. I feel.... slighted.

And I have been dreading this all spring!

o

Storygardener,

No big deal. I just didn't want people getting all worried.

All,

Mating has begin in my yard and little dead bodies are scattered around the yard. The # of emerging critters is starting to decrease. I think they are on the way to being fertilizer.

o

• Posted by Marty_H 6A Cicada-nati (My Page) on
    Thu, May 27, 04 at 21:51

Man, they are thick here in Hyde Park (inc Cincinnati). My whole front yard, which is groundcover, looks like Jeanner's picture above.

My worst fear, however, has not been realized. I teach at Taft HS, downtown, and I was afraid the cicadas would be buzzing into the windows. It's all concrete parking lot on my side of the building, though; no cicada problems at school at all. I could picture all the kids running out of the room, or worse yet, having to close the windows.

o
Hilarity online

• Posted by Marty_H 6A Cicada-nati (My Page) on
    Thu, May 27, 04 at 22:29

By the way, here's a link to that cicada site that was mentioned above. Don't forget to click on the links on the left side.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cicada horrors

o

Last day of May here, and i have only seen a few live ones and several exoskeletons. I was sure expecting more by now with that big warm spell past. With the 6+ inches of rain we had yesterday in the huge storms, perhaps they will show up now.
Maybe not??!!
Toni
Wolfe County, KY

o

Youza!

Still no sign of the cicadas in Victorian Village, Grandview or Milo-Grogan, but I was in Cincinnati for the weekend, and the cicadas were pretty thick in Kennedy Heights. They were relatively tame during the rain and greyness on sunday, but they were in full voice in the sunshine Monday afternoon. We were all talking a lot more loudly while we were grilling out.

That said, they weren't particularly annoying. They're so big and clumsy when they fly that it's fairly easy to get out of their way. You have to have someone do a "back check" before you sit down, to make sure there aren't any clinging to you, but they're easily plucked off and tossed out the door.

My nephew claims he finds the sound soothing. I recorded some sounds, and may call his bluff; make an endless loop tape he can use to help him drift off to sleep.....

o

I haven't seen a single one here in Bexley (or anywhere else around Columbus). I heard they had them in one neighborhood, Minerva Park.

Has anyone heard any predictions that we may actually not have them at all? Or is there a chance they are yet to come?

o

I don't think they've had any in Dublin for the golf tournament or- any significant amount.

..Beverly

o

Yes...the cicada's are at the Memorial Golf tournament in Dublin - singing along with the golfers. I just heard the report on the radio.
..Beverly

o

I live in Dublin on Riverside Drive and we have millions of cicadas! You should have seen my husband and I on Saturday trying to weed eat and mow. They thought we were giant cicadas and kept flying into us. Not to mention how nasty flying cicada parts look.

My family from Marion was petrefied when they were here for a cookout Monday, they have never seen them. Luckily, we have a scrrened porch or the cookout would have been cancelled.

The noise is non-stop, I can't wait for the silence in a few weeks.

Rhonda

o

Here here, we've had about enough of them in Dublin too. Thankfully the noise ceases at night.

I think I ran over about 4 million of them when mowing last week.

o

Okay you Dublin people - nada here in Upper Arlington. Fatso, where are you - out in the country perhaps. It's wierd because I live near the OSU golf course and thought all the pesticides there might have something to do with it. But if they're up at the tournament, who knows? Which tent are they checked in at?

I'm off McCoy Road one block off from the golf course.

o

If you're in Central Ohio, you might want to pick up a copy of The Other Paper which has a nice little article by Kristen Convery about the cicadas. While I disagree with Shetlar's charactorization of who settled Cincinnati, it does explain why cicadas are so thick down there, and so hit-or-miss here in Columbus. Here's a part:

....In most places in Central Ohio, people won't hear cicadas at all, despite countless news stories to the contrary.

That's because much of the city was settled as farmland, and clearing forests means killing the tree roots that cicadas feed on during their underground dormant stage, said Dave Shetlar, an OSU entomologist who calls himself "the bug doc".

"Anywhere during that 17 years of their development, if the trees are killed or removed, there's nothing for them to feed on," Shetlar said. And since the cicada population has the opportunity to spread out only once every 17 years, it takes a long time to establish a population in a new area. The roots of a towering 34-year-old tree have been around for only two cicada lifespans....

Shetlar said Cincinnati is the cicada hub because the river and hills weren't suitable for farmland, so "it was colonized orginally by some fairly rich landlord-type people" who didn't knock down all the trees.

Flat Columbus, on the other hand, was a farmer's dream. So people who want to see cicadas will have to get close to the rivers or old, well-established woods.

o

Alison,

That article probably explains why I have so many cicadas. I live on the river with tons of old trees. There were a few VERY old apple trees (we were told many were planted by Johnny Appleseed, but you know how widespread that story is) when we first moved here. Unfortunately, they have passed away. But, there are several other trees well over 150 years old remaining.

Even though the cicadas are annoying, I feel sorry for something that takes 17 years to reach adulthood then dies after a few weeks. I'll have to learn to be more tolerant.

o

Alison, that makes perfect sense. By the way, your red scabiosas from the swap (I got as backup) are blooming and are just beautiful. Thanks again. Mine are still about 4 inches. I suspect they're in too much shade. I'm sure they will catch up.

Well, I had a slug on my leg this morning and I'm just walking around with the thing not realizing it. I suppose that's enough creep-out for one day.

o

That's a good article from the Other Paper, Alison, thanks! It really does make sense.

I did see one cicada yesterday. It was in the parking lot of a shopping center and a bird ate it. I guess I can say that I actually saw one, I guess.

...Beverly

o

• Posted by TJM125 z5centralOH (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 5, 04 at 16:40

If you drive by/cross Big Darby or Little Darby the noise is almost deafening and your windshield will invariably get splattered. Wait until one lands one you with the big bulgy red eyes!

o

After returning from a two week vacation I am amazed at how many we have. Unfortunately they have really infested my japanese maple. I'm not sure what to do about it. I posted on the maples forum but so far no suggestions. Here is a link to my post, do any of you have any ideas??

Thanks
Jean

Here is a link that might be useful: cicadas and japanese maple

o

They are all over Dublin. The noise has been so deafening that I've been wearing earplugs outside. They are a real nuisance, especially in early afternoon when they seem to be particularly active. They land on your shirt, in your hair, and you learn to keep your mouth shut.

I'm ready for them to find their holes for another 17 years. Believe me folks, they were interesting for a day or two, but they lose their allure quickly. It remains to be seen how much damage they've cause to my small shrubs and trees.

o

Has anyone else observed that the heads and wings apparently don't taste good? I've found several 'missing bodies' -- just heads with wings. Some are even still alive and trying to walk around. Luckily, there aren't many at all in my yard or my neighbors, although there are plenty of trees around that are much older than 17 years, including ash, apple, and maple. So I don't have tooo many to observe. (I'm in Powell.) But friends of ours about 1/2 mile down the street are inundated!

Has anyone else noticed the bodyless heads?

o

It is not that they don't taste good so much. The soft, fatty, protein-rich part of the insect is inside the thorax. Most smaller birds can't get threw the exoskeleton of the cicada's head. And there really isn't much nutrition to wings.

o

Well, I've been a fool. I figured, for some reason, that we wouldn't get much of an invasion where I live. A few, fine. When they first came out, I felt pretty smug about our cicada-free status; we even had friends out for a cookout Memorial Day who oohed and aahed about how quiet our yard was compared to theirs.

Yet I'd drive no more than five minutes west or south and the noise would be deafening.

Hm...

Suddenly my yard is full of the ugly critters. And my brand new fruit trees, which I should have covered with netting, are now cicada hatcheries. I went out yesterday and watched those gals in action.

Maybe I'll get the camera out and make a little quicktime movie of how cicadas lay eggs in my BRAND NEW PLUM TREE SAPLING. Sigh...

o

I think it's now fairly safe to say that my yard will not be seriously invaded by the pesky critters. Guess I'm lucky that we bought in a newer development. I can hear the buggers in the older treed areas when I'm in my front yard, but not really in the back garden area. It's actually quieted down a lot in the last week or so. I have found a couple of heads and wings in the garden mulch, but I attribute that to the birds nesting in my ash trees. Wed. evening I did find a live one sitting on the top of hubby's screened seedling cage. Didn't even try to fly away when I walked up to him (or her). My guess is that he was tuckered out & lonely with no friends anywhere within earshot of him. Haven't seen another since then.

So ........ keeping my fingers crossed. -- PAM

o

For what it's worth, cicadas are apparently very high in nitrogen and phospherous -- same as high-priced fertilizer.

Given that they smell like bad tuna as they rot, I'd be reluctant to use them as mulch, but those of you have have 'em thick might want to consider sweeping them up and burying them in your compost piles. By the end of the summer you can pity those of use who didn't have any!

o
Oops!

Not phospherous; potassium -- still good stuff!

o

I am just soo glad they are gone! Here in Western Ohio...NW of Dayton, near the Indiana border, they were awful!! The silence is wonderful now...wellllllllll..not quite silence..but..you know what I mean!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here