Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Knock Out Roses - slow to come to life in Central Ohio

Posted by pauladd1963 none (My Page) on
Wed, May 7, 14 at 5:47

Hi All -
My knock out roses are barely showing signs of life. Anyone else noticing this in Central Ohio?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Knock Out Roses - slow to come to life in Central Ohio

There's a large curbside planting of Knockouts at my workplace (1-2 year-old transplants that grew and flowered vigorously last year).

At least half of them have produced no growth so far this spring. The rest are growing but generally have fewer shoots/progressing more slowly than last year. Apparently the hard winter has set them back and possibly killed some plants.

o

Hi,

I noticed the very same thing with my rose bushes.I see no sign of life at all including no buds.I'm in the cleveland area.I'm just patiently waiting.
Ivy2003,

o

The winter played havoc on all of my roses, especially the Knockouts.

I had 6-7 foot tall (and around) plants which I had to cut to the ground to get rid of all of the DEAD wood.

Your knockouts will, likely, grow back from the ground level, but you've got to get rid of the deadwood.

o

South Eastern Ohio. My 3 Knock Out Roses are alive but with few blooms. Cut them back hard this spring. Will see what happens next spring.

o

I lost 6 very large red knockout! Took me ages to dig them out, but they are now replaced --- fingers crossed. My neighbors were mortified when the roses died. They had a better view of them than I (^J^)

o

My knockouts looked terrible.....zero growth on 6 ft tall plants. They have thrived for 10 yrs! I cut them back to the ground, and by July, they had recovered and are now 4feet tall and wide, full of blossoms, and they look great! Yay! Last winter was brutal-hoping am nature takes it easy on us this winter!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here