Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulbs identification

Posted by sharonramick12345 6, Louisville, KY (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 07 at 9:45

I dug up a patch of ivy and I found 3 large bulbs (looks like an onion, but doesn't smell at all) and the leaves were very long, maybe 24". They have never flowered. I'm guessing the ivy had kept them from it. Anyway... is there a way to tell what type of plant this is without waiting for it to bloom... if it does at all.... next year???
thanks,
Sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulbs identification

Big bulb, 24" long foliage sound like it might be a Lycoris Squamigera....aka Surprise Lily.

Were these at your house? Have you moved there recently that you 'found' them yet have not seen them flower?

If they are the Lycoris, then they send up the strap like foliage in the spring. It should be left to yellow and die back on its own. Usually sometime in Aug (I think) the lilies will send up stems with blooms.

I just measured the foliage on mine, and some of the longest ones are 26" and about 7/8" at the widest point.

The Lycoris resent being disturbed and will often require a season or two to settle in and all of them bloom. If you reset them right now, I doubt if they would bloom this Aug now.

You're coming to the Louisville Swap June 2nd...right? I could give you my opinion then if you care to bring one for show and tell.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Lycoris squamigera (Nekkid Ladies)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here