Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wish2okc

Stupid Move at Plant Sale

wish2okc
16 years ago

So, I went to our local master gardener plant sale this morning and what did I find but the Ligularia 'Desdemona' that I've been wanting. The tag in the pot said $6.00. Yippee! I camped out by that plant waiting for the sale to start and snapped it right up. Shopped a little longer & picked up a few things, but when I got to the check-out the guy ringing me up called out $18.00 when he got to the Desdemona. I looked, and there were actually two tags in the pot - one said $6 & the other $18. Well I started to go ahead, but then it kind of made me mad because I know in retail they always honor the lower price. I honestly didn't see the higher price beforehand. Anyway, it was kind of the principle of the thing, you know? But now, I kinda wish I'd bought it. But maybe not. Some of those master gardeners were pretty snotty. To be fair, some were also very nice. Thanks for listening/reading.

Comments (8)

• loopy1
    16 years ago

I was at the same sale and I agree with your comment about the master gardeners. I was waited on by a very rude gardener so I handed my plant back and said no thanks and went elsewhere for my garden shopping.
    Amanda

• wish2okc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Loopy, I am so over plant snobs. I don't think I'll fool with their sale next year. Anyway, I got on the net & found that Bluestone had Ligularia "The Rocket" on sale for about $7. Not the exact same plant, but I may actually like it better. Anyway, I should have it next week, along with a new clematis for a very nice price. Total order including shipping was less than the $18 the mgs would've charged me. Thanks for your response - I was feeling ignored. I think everyone is busy in their gardens right now, and so should I be.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

Jane,

I wasn't ignoring you...just have had some terrible phone line woes recently. It has been very hit or miss for over a week now.

I too would have had to have handed that $18 plant back. There are not many plants that are really worth 'that' much to me.

I just did a search (out of curiosity) and found 5 members have that plant available for trade, and 10 have seeds for it.

I'm going to a MG sale this Sat, and am hoping to find a lot of goodies, at good prices, and hope to meet some nice gardeners.

The last MG sale I attended was a very positive experience, as we got to talking about local 'landscaped' parks, local garden personalities, and local (kind of) great nurseries

Sue

• wish2okc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sue, I've missed you! Glad to hear that it was just a phone problem. I didn't know you could search like that for plants to exchange. There's a whole new world to explore! I've never done an exchange but I gather you do it a lot & it works for you. I'll have to look into that some more. Like I said before, moving into a new house with a basically bare lot, I don't have much that is either desirable or ready to exchange but I'm working on it. I'm doing stem cuttings today. Wish me luck. Oh, and I don't mean to be nasty (maybe a little) about the MGs. Some were just as pleasant as can be. Actually my bestest all time plant buddy was an inactive MG.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

LOL...I 'might. sound like a plant snob to someone myself.

Was talking roses with my hairdresser, and I mentioned likeing the floribundas, and the grandifloras better than the Hybrid T's. My hairdresser just kind of glazed over and said, 'whatever'....lol She was lost.

Yes, I have been meaning to email you about the swap...I will have several things for you...and am interested in a couple of things from you as well.

To search lists, go to the bottom of any page here and click on Member Pages...found in the green banner. You can search for plants, seeds, or members.

Sue

• wish2okc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Goody! I'm looking forward to the swap. What would you like?
    Or should this be on the exchange page?

• penelope
    16 years ago

Maybe I have a more stupid move from that same MG Sale - DH bought the $18 Ligularia. He had two people comment on it before we could get to the car. He was happy! I found two tags in it - one said desdemona and the other said 'Britt Marie Crawford' similair, but not exact. I think I might like to have the rocket also.

Maybe we could have a plant exchange in the fall.
    Penny in Western Kentucky

• wish2okc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hope so! I googled Britt Marie and the foliage is really pretty (if that is what you have). I think my proposed site for 'The Rocket' is normally damp enough, but shadiness is questionable. Have to get the spot prepared though cause they shipped the plants on the 18th.

Sponsored