Return to the Ohio Valley Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is it too late to plant seeds for cucumber in KY

Posted by sharonramick12345 6, Louisville, KY (My Page) on
Thu, May 24, 07 at 10:53

Is it too late to bother planting seeds for cucumber in KY, zone 6? I've had a late start this year. Been battling with Ivy removal process. Also, since I'm talking about Ivy... I cut all the ivy leaves off and sprayed with chemical to kill Ivy. After I get finished digging up the dead roots will it be ok to plant any perennials in that area now... or should I wait a period. I'm not sure if the chemicals contaminated the dirt patch there.... I sprayed chems with a squirt bottle. Not with a hose sprayer. The chems were not watered down at all. So, should I wait? Or is it safe to plant there.... I want to put in some Lavendar and Lambs Ear and Dragon's Blood Sedumthe will spill over the rock edging. I just don't want to do all that and then it all die. :-( ya know?

Thanks,
sharon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is it too late to plant seeds for cucumber in KY

Is it too late to bother planting seeds for cucumber in KY, zone 6?
No, not too late. Thanks for reminding me.

The chems were not watered down at all.
Do you mean you sprayed the concentrate that was supposed to have been mixed with water, or do you mean you bought the premixed stuff in the spraybottle and sprayed it?

If you sprayed concentrate itself without mixing it at the suggested rate, I'm clueless.

Sue

o

I don't think it's too late. I planted my cukes last tuesday and they all started springing up exactly 8 days later. they're already a couple inches tall, just 11 days after planting.

o

Look at the days to maturity on your seed package and count back from your first frost date. If you're out in the country here in KY that's usually October 10th. If you're in Louisville, that may be a little later. Usually the latest you can plant warm season seeds such as beans, squash etc, is around the first of August so keep tossing those seeds in the ground!

Janet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ohio Valley Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here