Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bakemom_gw

What's Blooming in Your May Ohio Valley Garden?

bakemom_gw
19 years ago

These are also posted over on winter sowing, but I wanted to show off a bit here too. Just got a new computer and am playing around a bit with my new programs.

Lunaria

{{gwi:1071955}}
Groundsel

{{gwi:1071956}}
Columbine in the wind - a little blurred b/c they wouldn't sit still!

{{gwi:1071958}}
My medium unknown Phlox named Bakemomphlox by Mimi!

{{gwi:1071960}}

Comments (11)

• alison
    19 years ago

Youza!

How pretty!

My own garden's far more modest, but I've got several things in bloom right now. The lilac's just finishing, but the spirea's going strong. The Siberian iris in the alley is glowing like little sapphires. The sweet woodruff is frothing along the edges of the "shade" garden like a lace cuff, and the lilies of the valley are heavenly.

The peony is loaded with big fat buds, just aching to pop, and the mock orange is covered with thinly-veiled pearls about to bloom. And I noticed when I left the house this morning that one rose at the bottom of the "Shadow Dancer" is starting to unfurl -- about to unleash the deluge!

I love spring....

• moosedog
    19 years ago

I have some lovely with pretty purple flowers in my lawn. ;)

Brunera with its tiny blue flowers.

Peonies in bud.

This is a season that i am still working on in my garden. Getting better every year though

• alanrocks
    19 years ago

I've got more bloomin' plants in my front yard than you can shake a stick at! In front of the kitchen window I have pink and red/yellow (native) columbines, along with a bluestar, and white azaleas. Blue-eye grass is in a crack between the raised bed and the sidewalk.

I've got another bed with evening primrose, the columbine already mentioned, hesperis, and pink aremaria. That bed is going to be dug up I'll have hundred of plants to move, trade, pitch.

My latest project is a dry creek bed near the street. It is lined with purple and pink columbine, interspersed with Ageratum "Blue Hawaii". I've got pictures, just no time to upload them.

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Pretty pictures..Karen Bakemom!

I've got my lilacs going, the phlox you gave me, pulmonaria, forget me nots, valarian, a few heuchera, candytuft, a few crainsbill geranium, columbines, clematis Miss Bateman & Asao, bath pink dianthus, guem, the end of the tulips, jack in the pulpit, trillium, primula, solomon's seal and fat buds on the iris and peonies.

...Beverly

• superfreak
    19 years ago

I Love the lunaria! I have to find me some of THAT!!

Right now I have Coral bells, Azaleas, Dames rockets, Zinnas, Painted daisies, Columbines, Clematis, Dianthus, spiderwort, fringe tree, and lilacs going strong. The lupines are beginning to open, and the Gallardia and irises have sent up buds.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gardens

• MeMyselfAndI
    19 years ago

I've got pink & white columbines, Arenaria montana, Chives, Centaurea montana, several types of Dianthus, Geranium maculatum, coral bells, some kind of hyacinths, candytuft, purple bearded irises, lilacs, lunaria, some burgundy leafed ajuga, blue and pink forget-me-nots, pulmonaria, jacob's ladder, veronica waterperry, 3 colors of violets, calla lilies, pansies, and 2 lavender clematis flowers.

• plantsnobin
    19 years ago

almost too much to list. Peonies, iris, geraniums, lamiums, clematis-about 10 different ones, roses, early dayliles, wisteria, dianthus,penstemon, primula, prunella,ameria, rhododendron, scabiosa, knautia, and others. We haven't had a frost in a while, so everything is a little earlier than usual. I even have ripe strawberries-not that I can get to them before the baby bunny who calls my garden home does, though.

• alison
    19 years ago

My peonies and mock orange and Shadow Dancer rose and Kathryn Morley rose and German iris bust open this morning.

I could die right now.....

• lotter
    19 years ago

The lilacs and bridal veil spirea are done. There are still a few specialty daffodils blooming as well as a small spring bulb I've forgotten the name of, and some pansies. The azaleas and rhodies are still blooming. Lily of the valley, coral bells, columbine - native and hybrids, dame's rocket, Forget-me-nots, Bearded and Siberian Iris, dianthus, miniature roses, and a couple different plants that have either lost their tags (moles have tunneled everywhere) or are wildflowers I didn't plant. I have some annuals to put in this week - after I finish netting all my shrubs.

• tbyrd
    19 years ago

My Foxgloves are just starting. The Bearded and Siberian Iris have been in bloom for about a week. Peonies and Rhododendron opened the other day. Last year at this time there was a storm with hail that took just about all the blooms off the Foxgloves. Thought it was going to happen again yesterday. There was a storm with small hail. I was freaking out but everything seems fine. Now just have to weather the cicadas.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1071954}}

• gardengirl_17
    19 years ago

My peonies are just finishing but the roses are starting. I have a Madam Isaac Periere (sp?) rose that is gorgeous this year. Didn't trim it back last year so it's about 6' x 5' and covered with blooms. Also blooming is Geum, Knautia, Geraniums, Coral bells, Coreopsis, dianthus 'Brilliant' and daisies. I just LOVE this time of year!

Sponsored