Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raee_gw

Spring Hill sales this year?

Has anyone gotten notice of their $2 sale yet? Seems to me last year it was this weekend, but I've not gotten an email from them (It's been a few years since I ordered from them). I expanded several beds last fall and hope to get some more things to fill them in.

Comments (21)

• michigoose
    14 years ago

I did buy some of their $2 plants last weekend (I live less than 5 miles from them), but there wasn't much. It is my experience (granted only since 2005) that you're really better off waiting until Mid-June to June 20th when they have their 99 cent sale on the catalog closeouts.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Michigoose,please, if you hear of their next sale ($2 or $1) would you post it here? I am afraid that I've been dropped from their email list. Thanks.

You said that there was not much last week--much in the way of bareroot shrubs?

• michigoose
    14 years ago

Hopefully, I'll stop in on Thursday and see what's there. They usually just leave out their discounted stuff until it's gone or dumpsterized.

You can go to their website and re-sign up for emails. There's also a notice of what's going on---if you click on the garden center tab...not easy to see, but look for it and you'll find it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Springhill Nursery Garden Center

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

My thoughts too had turned to the sale, and was trying to find the thread from last year with dates and stuff...it is linked below.

I was so pleased with what all I got (via sweetie Raee) last year. It was the $1 sale (I think anyway...could be wrong) and she had a great selection of things for me. I lost a few things, but the ones that lived and thrived were so worth it all.

hmmm...might Raee shop for me again?

I am off to email you now...but certainly understand if you don't care to take on the added responsibility and work of it all....but I remember you saying you had 'enjoyed' shopping.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: 2008 Spring Hill Nursery sale-Discussion thread.

• michigoose
    14 years ago

I stopped in on Thursday, and they only had nasty looking peppers and out of bloom mixed and unidentified German bearded iris for $2.

I will post as soon as I learn of sales. :)

Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Michigoose, for checking.
    I'm looking forward to the $1 sale--hoping they have shasta viburnum again. My two died over the winter--but the 'Cardinal Candy' viburnum survived just fine, as did many of the other things I bought last year at that sale (despite my earlier post about things that had died over the winter--most were not from that sale).

14 years ago

Goodness...I just went to Springhill Site to look at the Candy Viburnum (lost mine last winter too) and got to looking around at their site...and made a big ole wish list after thinking there really wasn't much I wanted or needed.

Sue

• michigoose
    14 years ago

Ok..since I said I'd do this, and since I get the local paper, I'll put this one in even though it isn't the sale we're all waiting for. Their Memorial Day Sale is as follows:

May 22 thru 25th.
    Hours: M-F 9-7; Sat. 9-6; Sun. 11-5

Annuals, Perennials, Trees, vegetables 30% off

Breck's Summer flowering bulbs 50% off

Vegetable and flower seeds 60% off

Potted azaleas marked down to 25% off

Bare Root department 75% off

All Clearance items marked down an additional 50% off.

With proof of purchase receive a free hummingbird feeder.

Hope this helps. :) does this make me an enabler?????

Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, yes indeed, Michigoose, it does. But don't feel shame --we glory in our addiction...

Hmm, I have to work this evening and tomorrow, but I am heading to Toledo for the week on Monday and could detour past Tipp City on the way--it would add an hour to the drive--I wonder what bareroots they have at 75% off--I think I will call them.

Original Author
    14 years ago

And Chemocurl--what did you find interesting?

My Josee lilac bloomed (sparsely) this spring--how did yours do--if it really was Josee?

• michigoose
    14 years ago

I stopped in yesterday (Monday)only because we were going to Meadowview in New Carlisle, but it closed at 1:00 and we were there at 2:30 or so.

Most of the bare roots were over the hill (moldy strawberries, perennials with no sign of life at all), or were their "tree lilies" aka orientpet (hybrid trumpet/asiatic lilium), or a couple of varieties of daylily which were poking out of the bag...there may have been some hostas.

There were over-stocked grapes and Malus "Sundance" for $3 and $5 respectively which were potted up.

I asked one of the sales people about the June sale and she said that it had been a very good year for the catalog orders and that they didn't have much in the way of overstocks. They were talking about contacting other area growers to see if they wanted to add in their overstocks.

Hmmmm.

Original Author
    14 years ago

That doesn't sound too promising for June. Thanks Michigoose--I didn't call or stop in, I had some distractions. I think that last year at the $2 sale they had a pretty good variety & it doesn't sound like you've seen anything similar.

Well, we will just have to see.

• michigoose
    14 years ago

Ok...I stopped in on Thursday and they were handing out little slips of paper with the details on it.....

99 cent sale Friday June 19th; Sat. June 20th and Sunday June 21st.

I haven't gotten the card in the mail about the pajama party which is usually Thursday night....as soon, or if I do, I'll post.

Lisa

Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! That turns out to be my regular weekend to work, but you've given me enough time to try to swap shifts with someone.

I signed up for their email notices but haven't gotten any yet. Really appreciate your posting.

Raee

14 years ago

Oh Raee,

I so, so, so hope you can get to swap shifts with someone. I've got my fingers crossed for 'us'.

Sue

Original Author
    14 years ago

Sue, I now have Saturday off, so that frees up Friday and Saturday to make my little trip and go shopping!

Make your list!

• gardengal2
    14 years ago

I love this sale and look forward to it every year. If anyone knows if they are having a pajama party,Thursday, please let me know. Thank you

• michigoose
    14 years ago

Ok..the card came in the mail to me this morning.... They don't specifically say "Pajama sale" this year, but they are having a Thursday night Preview sale on June 18th from 6 pm - 9pm. If you have the card which came in the mail, you will get 50% off any regularly priced plant, however I would check the website and see if there is a coupon you can print off there.

Hours (regular hours, remember Thurs. is special) M - F 10 - 6
    Sat 9-6
    Sun. 11-5

Original Author
    14 years ago

There is a coupon that I will use to buy some corn gluten meal for the lawn--hope it works on violets!

Chemocurl (Sue), email me if you still want me to get some things for you. I sent you a message tagged onto our previous emails.

Maybe I will see you there, Michigoose & Gardengal2 (whether I know you or not!) If you see a middle-aged woman standing in front of a rack staring intently into space, that will be me, thinking, do I want this, yes I do, no I don't, yes I do!

Raee

• michigoose
    14 years ago

I stopped in tonight on the way home from working at the Quilt show in Columbus. There was a great selection there. I picked up two Korean firs (bare root), and a Mint Julep rose (bare root) and some other interesting things. I was trying to be good as I've been composting some of my plants lately (too much plant too little space and salvia (Friesland, or May night...I can't tell which....long story) which has decided to grow itself everywhere dispite my efforts to keep it deadheaded.). I managed to keep myself under $20 which was great.

There looked like there would still be healthy stuff this weekend, in fact, most of the plants look pretty healthy.

If you're going, head directly to the "perennial greenhouses" as they aren't in the main building at the back...they're still trying to sell the clothing and stuff......

14 years ago

That's good to know mich. I wonder if Raee will have access to a computer though. She requested me send her my list by Thurs AM, which I did. Hopefully she is finding lots of goodies for herself, and me both. I even requested that she pick up 2 surprises for me, her choice, and I would love it no matter what it was

It sounds like you got some neat things.

Sue

Sponsored